Health Care Transactions
Your legal counsel and business partners for all your strategic transactions
Capabilities at a glance
- Ensuring all our health care clients achieve their strategic goals, mitigate risk and stay on track throughout a transaction.
- As part of a leading national full-service law firm, we are deeply integrated with our M&A team, health care regulatory and transactional colleagues, and attorneys from other complementary practices in order to help your deal run smoothly.
- Lead regulatory counsel ranging from small, family-owned pharmacies to pharmacy-related transactions over $500 million.
- Experience partnering with private equity and strategic buyers to implement single acquisitions and sales, and to engage in large-scale rollup acquisitions in numerous health care fields.
Shared purpose with clients on health care transactions
Our Health Care Transactions team always approaches transactions holistically. We are a group comprising a mix of highly skilled business law attorneys with particular experience in health care transactions and knowledgeable health care lawyers who specifically focus on health care transactions. As an integrated team, we bring a well-rounded approach to deals to ensure all bases are covered. Our clients appreciate that we take a collaborative, practical approach to achieving your desired business results. To realize smoother transactions for our clients, our health care attorneys leverage our strong relationships with regulators across jurisdictions and our deep understanding of regulations, processes and procedures. When needed, we bring in attorneys from other practice groups – including labor and employment, intellectual property, real estate, employee benefits and tax – to advise on your deal, reinforcing our holistic approach.
Experienced attorneys across the spectrum of health care transactions, mergers and acquisitions
We represent clients from all sides in your major, often business-critical transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures. Our clients include hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery systems, physician groups, pharmacies, pharmacy benefit managers, medical device manufacturers, behavioral health facilities, telehealth, health technology and long-term care, assisted living and skilled nursing facilities. While you focus on achieving the best possible outcome from the deal, our experienced attorneys will ensure you maintain compliance with state and federal rules and regulations, including state and federal licensure, HIPAA and data privacy, the Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law and the False Claims Act. After closing, our team aids with integration related to all types of regulatory, licensing and credentialing issues.
- Regulatory compliance and government approvals
- Health care facility transactions, including hospitals, providers and physician practices, health systems, assisted living and other long-term care facilities, skilled nursing facilities and hospice facilities
- Transactions related to dental practices, behavioral health facilities, ambulatory surgical centers and therapy and rehabilitation facilities
- Purchase and sale of pharmacy, laboratory and medical device and technology entities, including application and cloud-based technology services
- Multi-jurisdictional acquisitions
- Health care real estate transactions
- Joint ventures, strategic alliances and combinations of health care businesses
- Reorganization of health care systems
- Formation of integrated health systems
- Payor acquisitions and consolidations
- Private equity transactions
- Capital raises and other investment transactions
- Taxable and tax-exempt bond financing transactions
- Structuring and documenting lines of credit and loans for health care entities and practices
- Formations and general contracting, including managed care, employment, intellectual property (IP), information technology (IT), distribution and management
Our health care transaction experience includes the buy-side, sell-side, multiple acquisition strategies and regulatory gamut. An example of each:
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of a $150 million drug manufacturer.
- Represented a long-time health care client in its sale to a private equity firm for $220 million.
- For a large health care company, our team advised and executed on multiple acquisition strategies involving 10+ acquisitions, including both stock and asset transactions from $8 million to $45 million.
- Served as regulatory counsel to a publicly traded entity in its sale of a pharmacy and home infusion business, involving more than 2,000 permits across all jurisdictions.
News & Insights
- Media Mention
- Presentation"The Anatomy of A Managed Care Contract and Its Negotiation"Lubar School of Business’ MBA Seminar
- Media Mention
- Media Mention
- Simone Colgan Dunlap
- Amy Cotton Peterson
- Christopher Dang
- Richard Davis
- Michael Elkins
- Andre Fiebig
- Michael French
- Jeffrey Fugal
- Kaitlyn Fydenkevez
- Elizabeth Gebarski
- Ashleigh Giovannini
- Christopher Guthrie
- Ryan Haas
- John Hintz
- Jonathan Howard
- Michael Levey
- Lisa Lyons
- Brenda Maloney Shafer
- Shamika Mazyck
- Nicholas Meza
- Brian Moll
- Roger Morris, R.Ph
- Anne O'Brien
- Meghan O'Connor
- Kaytie Ravega
- Aaron Sagedahl
- Walter Skipper
- Margaret Utterback
- Kevin Walsh
- Jacque Westling
- Jaya White
- Jeremy Wodajo
- Katrene Zelenovskiy