Government Enforcement Defense and Investigations
Deep government experience to conduct high-stakes internal investigations, defend clients in government enforcement actions, and litigate white collar criminal trials and appeals.
Capabilities at a glance
- A diverse team of attorneys with decades of experience in all aspects of white collar and regulatory defense, including complex government and internal investigations, regulatory enforcement actions and prosecutions.
- Former prosecutors and in-house counsel with true insider perspectives combining unique knowledge of the enforcement landscape and strong relationships with enforcement agencies and regulators.
- A highly responsive, nimble team that can respond quickly to assist clients with time-sensitive matters.
- Business driven solutions that balance risks, costs and benefits to offer pragmatic solutions to clients.
We conduct domestic and cross-border investigations and defend against enforcement actions brought by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), U.S. Attorney’s Offices, state attorneys general and a wide array of federal and state enforcement agencies including matters involving the DEA, DHS, HHS, IRS, FDA, EPA, OCR and others.
Our attorneys have deep experience with the full spectrum of government enforcement actions across industries and issues, including customs fraud, health care fraud, immigration fraud, government contract fraud, bank fraud, securities fraud, tax fraud, public corruption, anti-money laundering violations and DEA violations. We have in-depth and practical knowledge relating to the application of various fraud statutes, including the Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Our team members include former government lawyers with experience in both criminal and civil enforcement, making our team uniquely suited to advising clients facing the complexities of parallel criminal and civil matters.
We maintain broad and meaningful working relationships with federal and state enforcement agencies and regulators – many built over decades. These relationships have generated deep knowledge, garnered respect from prosecutors and regulators, and favorable outcomes for our clients.
Advising businesses of all kinds
We work in close alignment with our experienced litigators and counsel from our Health & Life Sciences, Financial Institutions Litigation, Environmental Litigation, Enforcement and Disputes, Product Liability and other practice groups regarding the unique regulatory and competitive issues facing our clients.
- Antikickback Statute violations
- Anti-money laundering (AML)
- Bribery and corruption charges
- Congressional, state attorney general, grand jury and internal investigations
- Customs, grant, health care and immigration fraud
- Environmental issues
- False Claims Act and whistleblower investigations
- International trade
- Privacy and data security breaches
- Regulatory enforcement actions
- Tax offenses
- Defense of a Fortune 100 company under investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, SDNY, pursuant to the False Claims Act for medication dispensing practices.
- Defense of a manufacturer in joint criminal and civil proceedings pursuant to the False Claims Act for customs fraud violations.
- Defense of a pharmaceutical distributor under DOJ investigation relating to DEA violations.
- Defense of animal health company in DOJ investigation relating to DEA violations.
- Representation of medical laboratory to conduct internal investigation relating to Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act and Stark Law violations.
- Defense of a substance abuse clinic under DOJ investigation relating to billing codes and kickbacks.
- Representation of a nonprofit organization to conduct an internal investigation relating to grant fraud.
- Convinced federal prosecutors to forego criminal prosecution of clients in FBI/USDA investigation of fraud in livestock industry.
- Persuaded federal prosecutors to not pursue criminal prosecution of clients in DOJ/EPA environmental crimes investigation.
- Obtained dismissal of public corruption charges for company under Deferred Prosecution Agreement.