Christian Stahl is a member of the Intellectual Property Group. His dual practice focus on intellectual property litigation and strategic counseling provides his clients with the best of both worlds -- counseling to preemptively avoid issues, preparation through good enforcement strategies, settlement negotiations, and execution on both offensive and defensive litigation when necessary.
As a result of his deep IP experience, Christian represents clients in procurement, enforcement, and a wide range of litigation matters, including patent, copyright, trade secret, trademark, trade dress, unfair competition, and false advertising litigation. He prepares and executes cease and desist actions, discovery, motion practice, claim construction, proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, domain name disputes, and UDRP proceedings. Christian has also litigated several matters involving non-practicing entities (NPEs) in the patent space and with copyright aggregators.
Additionally, Christian's practice includes counsel related to intellectual property licensing, due diligence, portfolio and asset strategies, brand licensing, marketing collateral, and negotiating the sale and purchase of intellectual property.
Christian frequently provides training sessions to in-house teams (both lawyers and non-lawyers) on the dos and don’ts related to using intellectual property, social media, non-disclosure agreements, supply agreements related to intellectual property, and licensing intellectual property.
Some of his representative experience includes:
- Representing a major beverage company in intellectual property counseling, portfolio and asset strategies, and complex litigations involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade dress and unfair competition.
- Representing an international apparel company in intellectual property counseling and trademark enforcement and defense.
- Representing a national organic foods supermarket in many aspects of intellectual property, including litigating and negotiating favorable settlements in various intellectual property and intellectual property-related matters; advising on procuring and maintaining trademarks and copyrights; and training its employees on the use of intellectual property.
- Representing various consumer products companies in all aspects of intellectual property counseling and litigation, including defending it in complex litigations involving patents, trademarks and trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, and unfair competition, and advising on intellectual property asset and portfolio building strategies.
- Representing start-up and small technology companies on intellectual property matters to prepare for funding and growth, advising them on intellectual property asset and portfolio building strategies, and enforcing/defending their intellectual property.
- Representation of a major outdoor retailer in all aspects of intellectual property counseling and litigation, including defending the Company in complex litigations involving patents, trademarks and trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, and unfair competition; advising on intellectual property asset and portfolio building strategies; and training its employees on the use of intellectual property.
Within Quarles & Brady's leadership team for the firm and Intellectual Property Group, Christian has served as the Chicago Office Lateral Partner Recruiter, Chair of the Chicago Summer Associate Program, Member of the Intellectual Property Litigation Client Development Committee, and Member of the Intellectual Property Group’s Conflicts Committee.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Trademark Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Trademarks & Copyrights
- Automotive Industry
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Journal of Intellectual Property (Contributing Editor)
- Vanderbilt University (B.S., 2002)
- Major: Molecular Biology
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Illinois Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Arizona (Member)
- International Trademark Association (Member)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (Member)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) (Fellow, 2015)
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS) Distinguished Service Award for Pro Bono Services (2009)