Christian G. Stahl is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group. He represents clients in many aspects of intellectual property procurement, enforcement, and litigation (patents, copyrights, trade secrets, trademarks, trade dress, unfair competition, and false advertising), including cease and desist actions, fact and expert discovery, motion practice, claim construction, inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, domain disputes, and UDRP proceedings. He has negotiated numerous settlements and litigated several matters involving non-practicing entities (NPEs) / patent trolls.
Mr. Stahl also advises and assists clients on the acquisition, protection, and exploitation of their intellectual property in brand licensing and market collateral.
Mr. Stahl’s experience includes the following:
- Representing a major outdoor retailer in all aspects of intellectual property, including defending it in complex litigations involving patents, trademarks and trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, and unfair competition as well as advising it on procurement of intellectual property and obtaining favorable licenses as licensor and licensee. Mr. Stahl has also helped this client obtain numerous favorable settlements in other intellectual property and intellectual property-related matters.
- Representing a national direct mail marketer in settlement negotiations and lawsuits involving non-practicing entities / patent trolls with favorable results, as well as advising it on strategies for expanding its own intellectual property portfolio.
- Representing a super-regional organic foods supermarket in many aspects of intellectual property, including assistance in obtaining favorable settlements in various intellectual property and intellectual property-related matters as well as advising it on, procuring, and maintaining trademarks and copyrights.
- Represented a national drug testing laboratory as plaintiff and helped it obtain a favorable settlement in a patent and trademark infringement case against a direct competitor.
- Represented a major confectionary company in a patent infringement case against a direct competitor related to confectionary technology, and assisted the client in obtaining favorable claim construction and summary judgment.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Business Law
- Trademark Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- International Services
- Trademarks & Copyrights
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Journal of Intellectual Property (Contributing Editor)
- Vanderbilt University (B.S., 2002)
- Major: Molecular Biology
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2007
Professional and Civic Activities
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS) Distinguished Service Award for Pro Bono Services (2009)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Illinois Bar Association (Member)