Christie Galinski is a tax attorney in the Business Law Group. She has wide experience providing tax research and analysis regarding federal, state and international tax issues. Christie’s practice has focused on transactional tax issues, such as mergers and acquisitions, low-income housing tax credits, investment funds (including RICs and REITs), cross-border transactions, tax-exempt organizations, and formation of entities. Ms. Galinski also has experience requesting private letter rulings and closing agreements with the Internal Revenue Service on a variety of tax issues. In addition, she has written numerous articles and presented various seminars on federal and international tax issues.
Her recent experience includes:
- Consulting on a variety of federal, international and state local tax planning opportunities for clients.
- Conducting tax diligence of for-profit and 501(c)(3) tax-exempt entities for mergers and acquisitions.
- Obtaining tax clearance certificates from state tax authorities.
- Performing tax analysis and review of merger and acquisition documents, credit agreements, private placements, partnership agreements, RICs and REITS.
- Advising on business tax provisions of CARES Act.
- Advising on FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act).
- Requesting private letter rulings with the Internal Revenue Service and state tax authorities.
- Negotiating closing agreements with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Preparing and filing federal and state tax exemption applications under Section 501(c)(3) and/or state law.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M. in Taxation, with honors, 2010)
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2007)
- Northwestern University (B.A., 1999)
- Majors: History and International Studies
Professional and Civic Activities
- International Tax Committee, ABA International Law Section (Publications Chair)