Christopher ("CJ") Frisina is an attorney in the firm's Health Law and Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Groups. CJ has an extensive health care practice, focusing primarily on federal fraud and abuse laws, including the False Claims Act (FCA), Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS), the Stark Law, and Civil Monetary Penalties (CMPs), as well as issues related to Medicare and Medicaid payments, graduate medical education (GME), and telehealth. Additionally, he has experience submitting advisory opinion requests to the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of the Inspector General (OIG).
CJ has represented numerous health care organizations in federal district court and before the United States circuit courts of appeals, as well as in administrative proceedings before the HHS Departmental Appeals Board (DAB), the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) grant review committee, and the US Department of Labor (DOL) Office of Administrative Law Judges. Such organizations include community colleges, federally qualified health centers, Head Start grantees, and Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)/Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) awardees.
In addition to this health care focus, CJ's experience as a Procurement Analyst for HHS allows him to advise clients on government contracting matters, particularly addressing suspension and debarment under the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and the Nonprocurement Common Rule (2 C.F.R. Part 180).
Previously in his career, CJ represented and advised federal grantees in navigating the intricacies of the Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (the "Uniform Guidance"). In law school, CJ clerked for the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, assisting with criminal cases in the D.C. Superior Court, and for the HHS OIG and Office of General Counsel for the Public Health Division.
- Health & Life Sciences
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Health Litigation
- White Collar Crime and Internal Investigations
Education and Honors
- American University Washington College of Law (J.D., 2015)
- American University (M.P.P., 2015)
- Emmanuel Christian Seminary (M.A.R., 2015)
- Johnson University (B.A., 2008)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Audit Award for Excellence, Council of Inspector Generals on Integrity and Efficiency (CIGIE) (Oct. 2015)
- Affordable Care Act Cooperative Achievement Award, US Department of Health and Human Services (June 2015)
- Certification of Appreciation, US Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General (Sept. 2014)