Cory Kopitzke is an attorney in the firm’s Health Law Practice Group and a member of the firm’s Fraud & Abuse Compliance and Litigation Team. Cory helps clients navigate government investigations and administrative litigation, Medicare and Medicaid compliance, and licensure and enrollment issues. He also assists clients in drafting and negotiating agreements utilized in change of ownership transactions undertaken by a broad range of health care providers, including nursing facilities, home health agencies, and assisted living facilities.
Cory has significant experience representing clients before administrative agencies, including the Office of Inspector General (OIG) for the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). He also represents clients in parallel government and corporate investigations. Cory is well-versed on issues surrounding program exclusions, claims of health care fraud and abuse, Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, suspensions, and civil monetary penalties.
Cory actively supports Quarles & Brady’s mission to provide legal services to indigent persons and to organizations that serve indigent persons by representing them in a variety of matters, including civil rights litigation, before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
- Government investigations and healthcare litigation
- Changes of Ownership (“CHOWs”) of Medicare and Medicaid certified providers
- Medicare and Medicaid enrollment
- Pharmacy licensure
- Long-term care and senior housing licensure
Prior to joining the firm, he was a judicial intern at the Federal District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. During law school, he was the Executive Editor of the Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies.
- Health & Life Sciences
- Health Litigation
Education and Honors
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law - Bloomington (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Order of the Coif
- Deans Honors (Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2016, Spring 2017)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Highest grade in class, Legal Research and Writing (Fall 2014 & Spring 2015); Seminar in International Law (Fall 2015); State Constitutional Law (Spring 2016); Constitutional Law II (Fall 2016)
- Executive Editor: Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, Student Affiliate: Center for Constitutional Democracy, Labor and Employment Law Society, International Law Society
- Wabash College (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Major: German
- Phi Beta Kappa, Wabash College Moot Court Competition, Champion (2013), Junior Peck Medal for Promise in the Practice of Law (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
Professional and Civic Activities
- Indianapolis Bar Association Health Care & Life Sciences Section
(Board Member, 2000-present)
- American Bar Association (Member; Web and Tech Liaison - Life Sciences Section)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Member)
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Member)