Dan Janssen established the Quarles Franchise & Distribution Law Team, representing clients that sell products to customers through franchises, dealerships, distribution, and other sales channels. His primary goal is to help clients avoid problems before they arise, through sound business planning and distribution channel management. But he’s always prepared to solve problems as well, and when litigation becomes necessary, he fights to win — and while litigating, he looks for opportunities to show his clients how to avoid future disputes.
Dan represents clients in building, maintaining, and consolidating distribution networks, guiding clients through market withdrawals and the rationalization of distributor networks. His practice includes counseling foreign manufacturers on the creation and growth of distribution channels within the United States. He advises clients on issues that include pricing, advertising, warranties, terms and conditions of sale, disclosure and termination laws, the internet, and the Uniform Commercial Code. Dan also regularly serves as counsel in litigation involving the termination of distribution relationships. He has substantial experience prosecuting and defending preliminary injunction motions and in taking cases through trial to the appellate courts.
In addition to his dealership and franchise practice, Dan has experience representing claimants and broker-dealers in NASD proceedings. He has also litigated cases involving breach of warranty and other Uniform Commercial Code issues, leases, trademark infringement, joint venture and partnership agreements, and cases generally involving breach of contract and other business-related torts.
Dan is an ideal representative of franchise clients, as he himself is highly entrepreneurial — Quarles had no specific focus on franchise law until Dan noted the opportunity and built a nationally respected team around it that has become one of the firm’s signature practice areas, virtually from scratch. He loves playing a role, large or small, in building strong businesses, and he takes great satisfaction in seeing clients develop and maintain healthy operations that feed families and create jobs.
- Franchise & Distribution
- Business Law
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation Litigation
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- International Services
Education and Honors
- University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., high distinction, 1993)
- Delta Sigma Rho
- Tau Kappa Alpha
- University of Northern Iowa (B.A., 1990)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- Pro Hac Vice Admissions throughout the United States
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition 2007 (Antitrust Litigation)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2010–present: Franchise Law)
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2013 Milwaukee Franchise Law "Lawyer of the Year"