Dan Long is a member of the firm’s Product Liability, Toxic Tort, and Personal Injury Litigation Practice Group. He concentrates his practice on defending manufacturers, premises owners, and contractors in complex multiparty toxic exposure personal injury and wrongful death litigation. In this practice, Dan has represented clients in a wide range of industries, including automotive and automotive parts manufacturers, energy providers, industrial and residential construction materials manufacturers and suppliers, chemical manufacturers, glass products manufacturers, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and construction contractors.
Dan has defended claims involving a wide variety of chemicals/particulates such as asbestos, silica, diacetyl, chromated copper arsenic, thimerosal, and coal tar pitch volatiles. His experience serving as local, regional, and national counsel in these cases has given him unique insight into the needs of the client and the demands of various types of litigation.
Dan is active in the Defense Research Institute’s (DRI) Product Liability Steering Committee having held several positions including Chair of the Chemical and Toxic Tort Specialty Litigation Group. Dan is currently an ad hoc member of the Product Steering Committee having most recently been the Chair of the Ambassadors program. Locally, Dan is a member of the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana having previously served as the Chair of its Product Liability Section.
Dan is also active in recruiting for the Indianapolis office serving as one of the hiring partners for the office. In this role, he regularly speaks to law students about the hiring process and strategies for succeeding in summer jobs. In addition to his recruiting responsibilities, Dan is the chair of the Indianapolis office’s summer associate program. In a less official but no less important role, Dan also took on the role of office social chair.
Education and Honors
- Indiana University–Maurer School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1996)
- Indiana University (B.A., 1993)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) Product Liability Steering Committee, chair, Chemical and Toxic Exposure Specialty Litigation Group
- Current Ad Hoc Committee member
- Ambassadors Program, chair
- Chemical and Toxic Tort Exposure Specialty Litigation Group, chair
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Product Liability Section, chair, 2008
- American Lung Association
- Indiana Leadership Board, chair, 2017-present
- Fight For Air Stair Climb Executive Leadership Team, chair, 2015-2016
- Park Tudor Parents Association, president, 2015-2018
- Meridian Street United Methodist Church
- finance committee, 2017-present
- lay leader, 2014-2017
- liturgist, 2016-present
- usher, 1996-present
- Indiana State Bar Association, member
- Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable William I. Garrard of the Indiana Court of Appeals, 1996-1998
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2013-present
- Indiana Super Lawyers®, Personal Injury - Products: Defense, 2012-present
- Indiana Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2009-2011