Dan Long is a member of the firm’s Product Liability, Toxic Tort, and Personal Injury Litigation Practice Group. He concentrates his practice on defending manufacturers, premises owners, and contractors in complex multiparty toxic exposure personal injury and wrongful death litigation. In this practice, Dan has represented clients in a wide range of industries, including automotive and automotive parts manufacturers, energy providers, industrial and residential construction materials manufacturers and suppliers, chemical manufacturers, glass products manufacturers, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and construction contractors.
Dan has defended claims involving a wide variety of chemicals/particulates such as asbestos, silica, chromated copper arsenic, thimerosal, and coal tar pitch volatiles. His experience serving as local, regional, and national counsel in these cases has given him unique insight into the needs of the client and the demands of various types of litigation.
Dan is active in the Defense Research Institute’s Product Liability Group having held several positions with the Chemical and Toxic Tort Specialty Litigation Group. Dan is currently serving a two year term as Chair of the Chemical and Toxic Tort Specialty Litigation Group. Before his work with the Defense Research Institute, Dan served as the Chair of the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana’s Product Liability Section.
Education and Honors
- Indiana University–Maurer School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1996)
- Indiana University (B.A., 1993)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Defense Research Institute, Chair, Chemical and Toxic Exposure Specialty Litigation Group
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Product Liability Section (Chair, 2008)
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Member)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Member)
- American Lung Association of Indiana, Member of the Board and Chair of the 2015 Flight For Air Stair Climb
- Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable William I. Garrard of the Indiana Court of Appeals
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-present
- Selected for inclusion in the Indiana Super Lawyers®-Rising Stars 2009-2011 Editions
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers® 2012-2017 Editions