David Bourne is an experienced finance attorney who represents both lenders and borrowers in sophisticated syndicated and single-lender financings. A member of the firm's Business Law Practice Group and Financial Services Industry Team, he has extensive experience with asset-based lending transactions, international financing, letter of credit transactions, work-outs, restructurings, and third-party legal opinions. Following private equity transactions, Dave works closely with portfolio companies on all aspects of their financing and credit needs.
In the 2017 edition of Chambers USA, Dave was one of only two attorneys in the State of Wisconsin to be ranked "Band 1" in the field of Banking & Finance. In 2013, Dave was recognized for his outstanding service and responsiveness to clients’ needs by being named a Client Service All-Star by The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.
Recent representative transactions include:
- Representing a publicly-traded company in a refinancing transaction involving over $1.8 billion in revolving and term loans.
- Representing the agent bank in extending a $65 million revolving credit facility to an NFL franchise.
- Representing the lender in a $35 million loan to a leading international food producer.
- Advising a paper manufacturing company on day-to-day interpretive issues arising under its $335 million revolving and term loan credit agreement.
- Representing a manufacturing company in connection with its $100 million asset securitization facility.
- Local counsel to numerous lenders, corporations, and borrowers with respect to Wisconsin transactions.
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1988)
- Marquette Law Review
- Zilber Scholar
- Marquette Lawyer Scholar
- Georgetown University (M.A., 1983)
- Wheaton College, Illinois (B.A., magna cum laude, 1981)
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1988
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member of the American, Wisconsin, and Milwaukee Bar Associations
- Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association, Member of the board of directors (1992–1995), President (1994–1995)
- Member, Marquette University Law School Alumni Board (2017 - present)
- Member of a defense team that provided pro bono legal representation to a Texas death row inmate, assumed key responsibilities for drafting a petition for writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court (1988–1995)
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2016–present: Banking & Finance)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2012–present: Banking and Finance Law / Corporate Law)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated