David Yohannan focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation, prosecution and licensing, representing a wide variety of clients ranging from Fortune 50 companies to individual inventors. David understands the big picture of each client’s needs, as well as how their intellectual property directly impacts their company. He counsels and represents clients in connection with state, federal and administrative litigation involving patent, trademark and consumer protection issues. He also advises and represents applicants for utility and design patent protection before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), particularly in aeronautic technologies, computer-implemented, mechanical, and telecommunications.
David’s clients include manufacturers, researchers, service providers and trade associations seeking assistance with domestic and international matters. In addition, he provides opinions of counsel regarding the validity and infringement of patents and trademarks. He also advises and represents applicants for registration of trademarks, counsels and represents clients on unfair competition and trade secret matters, and coordinates the activities of foreign counsel in securing intellectual property protection internationally.
David has been practicing law for over three decades and is skilled in working with his clients to protect their innovations and brands in today’s competitive market. He seeks to consistently ensure that his clients maintain the competitive advantage. Notably, David advises, prosecutes and defends clients with hundreds of millions of dollars of intellectual property assets at stake, and he is valued for his ability to tailor IP legal strategies to both long- and short-term goals.
Education and Honors
- George Mason University (J.D., 1994)
- Pennsylvania State University (B.S., 1988)
- Degree: Aerospace Engineering
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (Intellectual Property–Litigation: 2013–present)