Derek Abeyta is an intellectual property attorney in the firm’s Intellectual Property Law Group. He counsels clients in a wide variety of technical fields including wireless communications, electronics, software applications, aerospace, video coding, image and general electrical signal processing, autonomous vehicles, artificial intelligence, and medical device arts. His practice focuses on patent preparation and prosecution, and patent infringement and validity counseling.
Before joining the firm, Derek worked as an IP associate with both a California-based IP law firm and a Minnesota-based patent prosecution firm, where he gained significant prosecution and litigation experience.
Prior to attending law school, Derek gained industry experience as a control systems engineer in the engines division for a global leader in the aerospace industry and as a lab technician for Arizona State University's Tandem Ion Beam Particle Accelerator.
Admitted in California and the USPTO.
Education and Honors
- University of Arizona–James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., 2017)
- Dean’s List (2014 – 2016)
- Dean’s Achievement Award for Community Engagement
- CALI Excellence Award – Trademarks and Unfair Competition
- Editor, Arizona Journal of International and Comparative Law (2015 – 2017)
- Arizona State University (B.S.E., cum laude, 2012)
- Major: Electrical Engineering, concentration in Electrical Power and Energy Systems
- Dean’s List (2010 – 2012)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- Hispanic National Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of California (Member)