Don Layden is a partner in the Milwaukee office and is a member of the firm's Business Law Practice Group. Don focuses his practice on corporate law, with an emphasis on clients in the technology and business services areas. He is uniquely positioned to assist clients with sophisticated transactions and related corporate governance issues, having honed his business, legal, and leadership skills as both a corporate attorney and a strategic advisor to global businesses.
Don also serves as Operating Partner for Baird Venture Partners and Baird Capital Partners, where he advises the funds on investments in payments and transaction processing, business services, and health care IT.
Before returning to Quarles & Brady, Don was President of the International Group and Senior Executive Vice President of Corporate Development, general counsel, and secretary of Metavante Technologies, Inc. (NYSE:MV). Don returned to Metavante in 2004 with the Company's acquisition of NuEdge Systems, where he served as President. He also served as an advisor to Warburg Pincus LLC, a leading global equity firm.
Previously, he held senior management positions with Fiserv (President, Lending Systems Division), Marshall & Ilsley Corporation (Senior Vice President and Chief Executive Officer, Trust and Investment Management Group), and Metavante (Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer). Don began his career practicing law as a partner at Quarles & Brady, where he concentrated his practice in corporate law and mergers & acquisitions.
Layden serves on the board of two public companies:
- Firstsource Solutions, Ltd., headquartered in Mumbai, India and traded on the National Stock Exchange of India (FSL.NS), provides business process outsourcing services for clients in bank and financial services, health care, and telecommunications. Don is a member of the Corporate Strategy Committee and also serves as Non-Executive Chairman of the Company's US-based business, Firstsource Solutions USA, LLC.
- Online Resources Corporation (NASDAQ:ORCC), headquartered in Chantilly, California, provides bill payment and transaction processing services to banks and billers. Don chairs the Corporate Finance Committee and is a member of the Audit and Corporate Governance Committees.
He also serves on the boards of TxVia, Inc., a private company that provides transaction processing technology for emerging payments and financial services; Catholic Financial Life, a fraternal insurance company with over $1 billion in assets; FEI Behavioral Health, a private company that provides employee assistance and crisis management services; and Harqen, a private company that captures voice conversations and creates actionable insights. He is also a board observer to Zipmark, a private company that enables digital payments.
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., with honors)
- Marquette University Law Review (Editor)
- Marquette University (B.A.)
- Political Science & Economics
Professional and Civic Activities
- United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County Campaign (2018 Campaign co-chair and Advisory Board Member)
- Alverno College (Board Member)
- Three Harbors Council Boy Scouts (Board Member, Past President, and Chairman of the Board)
- Milwaukee Area Workforce Investment Board (Board Member and Secretary-Treasurer)
- Ways to Work (Board Member)
- Consuelo Foundation (Board Member)
- Milwaukee Art Museum (Board Member)
- Summerfest (Board Member)
- Schools That Can Milwaukee (Board Member and Chairman of the Board)
- Received the 2013 Alumnus of the Year Award from Marquette University
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2012–present: Corporate Law)