Edgar Matias assists clients in protecting, enforcing, and defending intellectual property rights through litigation.
He is a member of the Intellectual Property Group who gained valuable knowledge on trademark disputes, patent infringement, and business formation laws as a Quarles & Brady 2019 summer associate. He interned with a pharmaceutical company in 2018 where he was exposed to patent formulation and patent defense. After becoming a Certified Mediator for the Center of Conflict Resolutions in Chicago, he gained experience in mediating settlements.
Outside law school academics, Edgar was actively engaged as a teaching assistant, an IP Design Fellow, a bilingual legal volunteer at the university's Self-Help Web Center, and a Chicago-Kent Patent Hub volunteer. He was also a Senior Associate of Law Review and Executive Assistant Editor of the Chicago-Kent Journal of Intellectual Property.
Prior to law school, Edgar was a researcher at Northwestern University where he gained hands-on laboratory experience in early HIV-1 transmission studies and contributed to various research publications. He also was part of a research team at the Max Planck Institut fur Dynamik komplexer technischer Systeme in Germany, where he identified key differences in protein expression between cell types to help improve influenza vaccine production.
With his move into private practice, Edgar has already begun to appreciate how his diverse experiences serve to make him a more effective counselor in meeting the legal needs of his IP clients.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Trademark Litigation
- Trademarks & Copyrights
- Design Patents
Education and Honors
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2020)
- CALI Award in Design Law, Business Organizations, Legal Writing I and II, Torts, Property, and Civil Procedure
- Order of the Coif, member
- Chicago-Kent Honors Scholar
- Hispanic Law Society Association, member
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (B.S., 2013)
- Biological Engineering and Physics
- Sigma Nu, member
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Illinois, member
- Chicago Bar Association, member
- American Bar Association, member