Ed Hannon is a member of the firm’s Business Law Practice Group and works with clients in adopting tax savings structures for acquisitions of privately-held, family-owned businesses. Ed also advises clients on the use of tax-oriented structures in real estate transactions.
Representing real estate owners and investors throughout the U.S., Ed addresses tax, governance, and entity formation and dissolution issues. He also advises non-U.S. investors in structures designed to minimize U.S. tax costs related to U.S. real estate investment. Ed has significant experience advising real estate companies in structures that facilitate tax-free like-kind exchanges under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code, including the Delaware statutory trust structure and the tenant in common structure.
Ed is regularly involved in drafting and negotiating tax provisions included in stock purchase agreements, merger agreements, and tax sharing agreements used in acquisitions of U.S.-based businesses.
With respect to non-real estate transactions, Ed has represented strategic buyers and private equity firms in the acquisition and disposition of U.S. businesses ranging in value from $30 million to $500 million.
Ed's experience includes:
- Representing a Chicago-based private equity firm in a transaction involving a roll-up of an automotive-based service sector. The transaction involved subsidiaries in the United States, Germany, and the United Kingdom.
- Representing a strategic buyer in the acquisition of a $380 million competitor in the revenue cycle business.
- Representing a closely-held strategic buyer in the acquisition of a supply chain merger in a partially tax-free equity rollover transaction involving sub-tier limited liability companies with a total transaction value of $120 million.
- Representing the owners of six shopping malls in the contribution of the properties to a publicly registered non-traded REIT as seed properties. Adopted UPREIT structure to facilitate tax-free contribution of the properties to the REIT, modify existing loan agreements in connection with the transfer of the properties, and create a taxable REIT subsidiary.
- Assisting a foreign real estate company in the acquisition of a U.S. hotel property located in the U.S. for $18 million. Coordinated cross-border tax planning strategies with the client’s international accounting firm and developed strategies to minimize U.S. tax consequences of U.S. withholding tax and tax reporting requirements.
- Representing real estate owners in like-kind exchange on adoption of post-exchange refinancing structure involving $6.3 million in loan proceeds. Directed issuance of tax opinion on the extraction of the refinancing proceeds in a tax free manner.
Representing a real estate developer in joint venture agreement with nationally based student housing company on student housing and hotel project. Oversaw tax and structural planning arrangements in connection with receipt of TIF funding from a municipality in downstate Illinois.
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- International Services
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., with distinction)
- Certified Public Accountant, Illinois.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D.)
- St. Louis University (B.S.)
- U.S. Tax Court
Professional and Civic Activities
- Adjunct faculty at the DePaul University Graduate School of Business (1998 - present)
- Illinois CPA Society, (Board of Directors, 2009 - present; Chairperson 2015-2016)
- Illinois State Bar Association, Federal Tax Section (Past-Chair, 2002 - 2003)
- Ireland Network of Chicago (Member)
- Selected as an Illinois Leading Lawyer - Leading Lawyers Network, 2017–present (Real Estate: Finance; Tax: Business)
- Leading Lawyers - International Business and Trade Law, Real Estate Law and Finance and Tax Law - 2012 (cited in multiple years)
- Irish Legal 100 - 2012 (cited in multiple years)
- Illinois Super Lawyers - 2010-Present
- Recipient of the Distinguished Alumni Medal from St. Ignatius College Prep (2008)