Ed Broecker is a partner in the firm's Business Law Practice Group and the leader of the International Trade and Supply Chain Team and a member of the Corporate Venturing Team. He balances business results and mitigation of legal risks, concentrating his practice on commercial agreements and trade, corporate and board governance, software licenses, finance and equipment leases and helping clients in transitional situations including asset monetization, business expansion and capitalization. He represents a broad array of national and international clients with concentration in the fields of advanced manufacturing, IT and life sciences, sales and distribution and hospitality and gaming industries.
Ed has a great depth of experience in supply chain matters, international trade (including export control (ITAR and EAR and registrations with the DDTC) and sanctions (OFAC and EU), compliance program creation, improvement and related training, counseling and assessment (FCPA, U.K. Bribery Act, Brazil’s Clean Companies Act and Mexico’s GLAR, fair competition and human rights compliance). He regularly speaks on business, corporate and compliance matters at national and international law conferences and workshops.
- Drafted and implemented comprehensive codes of conduct and related compliance policies for multiple clients in manufacturing and distribution industries, including working with U.S. subsidiaries of international firms and U.S. firms expanding internationally;
- Performed trainings on compliance related topics including anti-corruption (FCPA, U.K. Bribery Act, Brazilian Clean Companies Act and Mexican GLAR) and transparency in the supply chain;
- Negotiated numerous global supply and related services agreements for Fortune 100 company, including one relating to the purchase of personal computers for all employee workstations operating in 120 countries;
- Performed comprehensive review and assessment of risks in 33 global sale agreements for a Fortune 100 manufacturer and recommended appropriate risk mitigations;
- Lead counsel to independent directors in purchase transaction of strategic asset from corporate insider;
- Lead counsel on numerous cross-border M&A transactions, including representation of Chinese public company in the acquisition of U.S.-based rubber products manufacturer; and
- Lead counsel to the largest privately held medical device manufacturer in $500M sale of its pharmaceutical contract manufacturing division.
- Lead counsel on numerous transactions involving environmentally impacted real estate, including representing owner of auto salvage yard in the sale of the facility to developers and a church.
- International Services
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Education and Honors
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 1991)
- Indiana Law Review (Executive Articles Editor)
- Wabash College (B.A., cum laude, 1988)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
Professional and Civic Activities
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Working Group of the American Bar Association on Incorporating Human Rights Protections into Supply Contracts (Member)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Member)
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Member)
- International Association for Contract and Commercial Management (Member)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® - Corporate (2014-present)
- Listed in Indiana Super Lawyers®
- Listed in Indianapolis Business Journals' "40 Under 40" (2005)
- Listed in Indianapolis Business Journals' "Who's Who in Technology" (2002)