Emily K. Fons is an attorney in the Business Law Practice Group. Emily maintains a comprehensive transactional practice, assisting clients in mergers and acquisitions, antitrust law, international trade, and general corporate law.
Emily represents both buyers and sellers in stock and asset acquisitions and divestiture transactions. She has successfully completed transactions in the industries of manufacturing, medical devices, and web-based intellectual property. Emily regularly advises publicly and privately held businesses in general corporate and commercial matters, including business planning and entity formation, as well as reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts.
In the area of antitrust law, she routinely assists clients with respect to joint venture and merger-related antitrust matters, including preparing and filing the Premerger Notification and Report Form for Certain Mergers and Acquisitions required under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act. She has helped both domestic and foreign clients obtain federal antitrust agency approval for numerous transactions.
Emily is actively involved in the firm's pro bono efforts. In partnership with the Milwaukee Justice Center and Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic, Emily created a legal aid clinic at Sojourner Family Peace Center. In addition, Emily is the coordinator of the firm’s Domestic Abuse Injunction Lawyer-for-a-Day Project. Through these roles, she has successfully represented dozens of individuals seeking restraining orders against their abusers.
Prior to law school, Emily was the International eCommerce Specialist for a large distribution company and managed all of its legal requirements for shipping goods out of the United States, including compliance with the harmonized tariff schedules. While attending law school, she was a member of the Hastings International and Comparative Law Review. In 2014, she was a Summer Associate at Quarles & Brady.
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- International Services
Education and Honors
- University of California–Hastings College of the Law (J.D., 2015)
- Hastings International and Comparative Law Review (Member)
- Marquette University (B.S., 2011)
- Major: Finance
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2015
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic at Sojourner Family Peace Center (Founder, Volunteer)
- Domestic Abuse Injunction Lawyer-for-a-Day Project (Volunteer, Firm Coordinator)
- Quarles & Brady Women's Forum Committee (Member)
- Marquette University College of Business Administration Mentor Program (Mentor)
- Quarles & Brady Michael Gonring Pro Bono Award Recipient (2017)
- State Bar of Wisconsin Pro Bono Honor Society (Member)