The world of nonqualified deferred compensation and executive compensation has significantly changed in recent years. Employers have had to review and, in most cases, substantially restructure their programs to satisfy changes in federal law. We assist our clients by providing service and advice on all aspects of the structure and taxation of nonqualified deferred compensation and executive compensation, including the following:
- Advising on the structure of and preparing bonus and incentive plans.
- Drafting and reviewing supplemental executive retirement plans (SERPs) for public companies, privately held companies, and not-for-profits.
- Preparing, reviewing, and negotiating employment and resignation agreements.
- Designing and implementing stock option plans and other equity-based plans or arrangements, including restricted stock, phantom stock, and stock appreciation rights.
- Assisting with the design and preparation of severance arrangements.
- Preparing all types of deferred compensation arrangement, including 451, 457(b), and 457(f) plans, and assisting clients with the design, administration, and compliance of such plans.
- Implementing and amending deferred compensation plans in compliance with IRC §409A.
- Designing vehicles to secure plan benefits such as rabbi trusts and split dollar life insurance programs.
- Advising on "golden parachute" arrangements.