Government Relations for Energy
Our Energy lawyers represent all segments of the energy sector, from municipalities to major integrated energy companies, large energy consumers, independent producers, and oil and gas pipelines to refiners, terminal operators, wholesale and retail marketers, and non-profit energy cooperatives. As energy issues receive increasing attention at the local, state, federal, and international levels of government, our attorneys are actively involved in the development and restructuring of many laws shaping energy regulation.
As part of our far-reaching assistance on energy issues and projects, we effectively represent clients that:
- Participate in contested proceedings before state, regional, and federal regulatory commissions.
- Develop and implement legislative strategies.
- Identify strategic partners and contacts.
- Foresee, define, and manage political, economic, and financial risks.
- Forecast and defend against adverse action by regulatory agencies and intervenors.
- Interact with local utility companies.
- Establish ties with policy makers and regulators.
Our work includes:
- Representing a coalition of large industrial and institutional customers opposing a request to increase electric rates to owners of onsite generation by over $300 million annually.
- Representing two non-profit energy cooperatives in advocating for legislation modifications to facilitate service territory expansions and acquisitions of substantial new assets.
- Representing a developer in advocating for multiple rounds of legislative modifications to facilitate the development of a major cutting-edge technology Clean Coal plant.
- Prosecuting contested cases on behalf of brewing and paper industry clients challenging water and sewerage rates.