Infrastructure and Public-Private Partnerships
Quarles & Brady’s Infrastructure Team represents clients on high-profile transportation infrastructure projects and public-private partnerships. Our multi-disciplinary infrastructure team provides clients with superior value by bringing together lawyers with the corporate, real estate, environmental, transportation, tax, and state and local government experience necessary to successfully complete complex projects.
We pride ourselves on maintaining the highest level of infrastructure-related insights, not only about the relevant legal, legislative, and regulatory framework that applies to any given transaction, but also about related developments in the political arena that can affect the transaction’s outcome or terms. Our attorneys have excellent working relationships with key governmental decision-makers on infrastructure projects, including the Illinois Department of Transportation, the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority, the Illinois Commerce Commission, the City of Chicago, the Arizona Department of Transportation, the Arizona Corporation Commission, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, and the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin.
Because our team includes lawyers that served in government roles early in their careers, we understand the unique issues facing governmental entities and the sensitivities of intergovernmental relations. We also have considerable experience with stakeholders that weigh in on, and sometimes oppose, infrastructure projects.
Our experience includes:
- Serving as lead counsel to a real estate investment trust in a public-private partnership to develop, finance, construct, own, and operate a toll bridge project in southwest suburban Chicago. As part of that project, we are drafting and negotiating various project agreements, including a four-way memorandum of understanding and a tolling agreement; securing the necessary federal, state, and local permits and approvals; and providing advice on transportation, environmental, tax, real estate, procurement, and government transparency issues.
- Representing a publicly traded infrastructure company in its acquisition, financing, and re-financing of a district cooling system that serves downtown Chicago.
- Drafting and negotiating various project agreements, including memoranda of understanding, tolling agreements, operation and maintenance agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and master project agreements.
- Assisting the developer of a multi-modal logistics part in identifying and obtaining federal, state, and local support for infrastructure upgrades, including the federal Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant program.
- Securing necessary federal, state, and local permits and approvals for public-private partnerships and other infrastructure transactions.
- Providing advice to multiple clients on Illinois laws that impact infrastructure deals, including the Public-Private Partnerships for Transportation Act, the Public Private Agreements for the Illiana Expressway Act, the Toll Bridge Act, and municipal "home rule" under the Illinois constitution, statutes, and local ordinances.
- Analyzing various legal issues in connection with public-private partnership transactions concerning taxation, financing, asset ownership, third-party investment, government procurement, government transparency and confidentiality, and environmental matters including the application of the National Environmental Policy Act.