Everett S. Ward is a real estate attorney and partner with Quarles & Brady. He represents corporate, commercial, and not-for-profit clients in the acquisition, disposition, financing, and leasing of commercial, industrial, and residential real property, including hotels, industrial properties, mixed-use properties, manufactured housing developments, multifamily developments, office buildings, and shopping centers. Mr. Ward also represents clients in the formation and financing of real estate joint ventures on both stabilized assets and development projects.
His experience includes:
- Ongoing representation of an S&P 500 real estate investment trust (REIT) that is one of the largest publicly traded owners, operators, and developers of multifamily housing in the United States.
- Representation of a major life insurance company in the sale of a Class A office building in the Chicago, Illinois CBD for a sale price in excess of $250 million.
- Representation of a group of major life insurance companies in a $480,000,000 multistate loan transaction.
- Ongoing representation of pension and governmental plan sponsors and plan advisors on a variety of real estate financing transactions.
- Representation of a major life insurance company in a $230 million multi-state mortgage loan secured by airport parking facilities.
- Team leader for firm attorneys that serve as Midwest Regional Counsel for a major life insurance company on mortgage loan and loan sale transactions ranging in size from $3 million to in excess of $1 billion.
- Representation of a joint venture in the acquisition of a portfolio of multifamily housing assets located in the southeastern United States for a purchase price in excess of $130 million.
- Representation of a joint venture as borrower in a $53 million mortgage loan on a major hotel property in Florida.
- Real Estate
- Banking & Financial Institutions
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1986)
- Board of Student Advisors (Member, 1984–1986)
- Princeton University (A.B., 1983)
- The Princeton Club of Washington, D.C. Scholarship (Recipient, 1979–1983)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1986
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member: Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section)
- Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA)
- Economic Club of Chicago (Member)
- Lambda Alpha International (Member: Ely Chapter)
- The Field Museum of Chicago (Member: Board of Trustees, 2009–present)
- Thresholds (Board President: 2000–2002; Member: Board of Directors, 1996–2008)
- Oak Park Economic Development Corporation (formerly known as the Oak Park Development Corporation) (Board Member and Member of the Executive Committee: 2013–present)
- Practicing Law Institute (PLI) Chicago Real Estate Financing Program (Co-Chair: 2013-2017)
- American Bar Association's Standing Committee on Continuing Legal Education (Member: 2014-2017)
- Former vice chair and chair of the Real Estate Investment Trust Committee of the American Bar Association's Real Property, Trust and Estates Section
- State of Illinois Real Estate Administration and Disciplinary Board (Member)
- Selected as a Most Influential Minority Lawyer in Chicago by Crain's Chicago Business (2017)
- Selected as an Illinois Leading Lawyer - Leading Lawyers Network, 2008–present (Real Estate: Commercial & Finance)
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell's highest peer recognition for ethical standards and legal ability
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® (2006–present: Real Estate)
- Who's Who In Black Chicago (Chicago's Counselors at Law – 2006, 2007, 2010)
- Named a 2015 Business Leader of Color by Chicago United