Fred Gants is a member of the firm's Labor & Employment Practice Group. As a management lawyer, he has used his background and experience to represent companies in a variety of matters, including defense of discrimination complaints, employer counseling, traditional labor including collective bargaining and unfair labor practice charges, and representation on OSHA matters and citations. Fred has represented employers in courts and before state and federal agencies, including the National Labor Relations Board and Occupational Safety and Health Administration, across the country.
- Defense of a wholesale distributor before the Wisconsin Supreme Court, in which it was held that a terminated employee suing for breach of contract may not bring a lawsuit in tort for misrepresentation, and that a wrongful discharge lawsuit cannot be brought where an at-will employee is terminated for failing to sign a noncompete agreement.
- Successful defense of an age discrimination claim for a large nonprofit organization.
- Successful negotiation of collective bargaining agreements for employers that include significant production and profit incentives.
- Successful representation of employer through 5-month strike and defense of numerous unfair labor practice charges.
- Investigation of death and dismissal of OSHA citation.
- Labor & Employment
- Research Institutions
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Banking & Financial Institutions
Education and Honors
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 1976)
- Yale University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1972)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1976
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member: Former Member of Board of Directors, Labor and Employment Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Member, Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Dane County Bar Association (Former President)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2008–present: Employment Law – Management; Labor Law – Management; Litigation – Labor & Employment)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated