Gabriel Hartsell represents creditors in Chapter 7, 11, and 13 filings, as well as pursuing their claims against debtors in those matters. His practice focuses on the protection of creditors' rights throughout all facets of bankruptcy reorganizations, restructurings, workouts, and other financial transactions. He regularly represents commercial equipment lenders and lessors in substantial business reorganization cases, in addition to commercial landlords in all aspects of lease enforcement disputes and resolution. He routinely advises financial institutions, creditors, debt servicers, and a variety of corporate clients on a diverse array of commercial and contractual disputes. This includes guiding clients through pre-suit lien enforcement efforts under the UCC, as well as protecting secured creditors' collateral interests and rights through the application of provisional remedies like receiverships.
Gabriel’s litigation experience extends to defending clients across the financial services industry throughout Florida and Georgia against class action and individual statutory claims, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), and related state claims, with a primary focus on federal court practice. He has successfully litigated appeals through the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the state court appellate system in Florida and Georgia.
Gabriel has also served as general counsel for a chamber of commerce, advising the board and executive committee regarding a range of issues, such as the impacts of public records laws on the organization, as well as its private-public governance structure and handling of public funds. Based on his experience working with the chamber of commerce and many other companies over the years, Gabriel incorporates a business mindset into his legal practice, aiming to resolve clients' legal issues through efficient litigation management, while always bearing in mind the cost and liability associated with each individual case.
Education and Honors
- Florida State University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2010)
- Florida State University (International Law Certificate Program, magna cum laude, 2010)
- Palm Beach Atlantic University (B.S., magna cum laude)
- Major: Psychology
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
Professional and Civic Activities
- Jacksonville Bar Association, member, 2017-2020
- Jacksonville Federal Bar Association, member, 2017-2020
- Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce, member, 2017-2020
- ImpactJax Young Professionals, member, 2017-2020
- ImpactJax Service and Giving Committee, member, 2019-2020
- Florida Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars Edition, Banking; Business Litigation; Appellate; Creditor Rights and Bankruptcy: Business, 2018-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch," Commercial Litigation, 2021