Hans Riede is Chair of the Labor & Employment Group in the Washington, D.C. office, where he focuses on employment and trade secrets litigation. In counseling and representing his clients, Hans relies upon his diverse educational background in business, finance, and trial advocacy to give clients frank, bottom-line advice and analysis on the potential benefits, costs and risks associated with any litigation. When litigation is warranted, Hans is a fierce advocate for his clients, who include corporations, law firms, AmLaw 100 lawyers, doctors, business executives and professional athletes.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Hans has been a trusted advisor for clients navigating the impacts of COVID-19 on their business operations and employees. He has provided guidance on remote workforce policies, procedures and training; employee safety; reductions in force, furloughs, layoffs; family and medical leave due to coronavirus or childcare interruptions; ADA accommodations; return to work issues, including temperature testing, salary reductions, social distancing in the workplace, and preventing discrimination and harassment related to COVID-19; among many others challenges.
As a trial lawyer, Hans has extensive experience litigating trade secrets and defamation cases, non-compete agreements, executive compensation contracts, class actions, collective actions, and cases brought under a wide variety of federal and state employment statutes. He routinely serves as local counsel and co-counsel for international and national law firms and advises employers regarding employment agreements, policies and handbooks, employee discipline and terminations, and compliance with state and federal employment laws.
- Lead attorney and first-chair trial counsel for commodities brokerage firm client in its defense of multi-million dollar trade secrets, tort, and business conspiracy lawsuit;
- Lead attorney and first-chair trial counsel for health care consulting firm in its successful defense of multiple-six-figure breach of contract lawsuit brought by former executive;
- Lead counsel in successful defense at trial and on appeal of shareholder derivative action which sought forced corporate dissolution and over $150 million in damages with all derivative claims dismissed, and a multiple-hundred thousand dollar judgment procured in favor of client/defendants due to plaintiff’s “vexatious conduct;”
- Lead trial counsel in successful defense of board of directors in fiduciary duty and removal action;
- Representation of well-known regional restaurant in its successful defense of hybrid FLSA/state wage and hour collective and class action claims;
- Defense of Fortune 1000 CEO in multi-million dollar business tort lawsuit. Authored and successfully argued motion to dismiss;
- First-chair trial counsel for government contractor client in successful enforcement of employee non-compete agreements;
- Successful defense of claims brought under the False Claims Act (“FCA”), the Uniform Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (“USERRA”), Title VII, and the FLSA; and
- Obtained dismissal of various claims against CFTC broker dealers.
- Labor & Employment
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Trade Secrets
- Securities Litigation and Enforcement
Education and Honors
- University of Richmond School of Law (J.D., 2007)
- University of Virginia, McIntire School of Commerce (B.A., 2002)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- Fairfax County Public Schools (Student Mentor)
- Virginia Business Magazine "Legal Elite" - Alternative Dispute Resolution (2019)
- Virginia Business Magazine "Legal Elite" - Young Lawyers - Under 40 (2017)
- Virginia Business Magazine "Legal Elite" - Commercial Litigation (2015)
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars (Employment Litigation: Defense, 2014-2019)
- Selected for inclusion in Washington DC Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars (Employment Litigation: Defense, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- Conversational Spanish