Hilary Lane is a Partner on the Data Protection & Security team. She has extensive experience helping businesses navigate the privacy and cybersecurity landscape nationally and around the globe.
As Chief Privacy Officer for NBC Universal, Hilary built, implemented and led its global Privacy program across diverse operating units and drove strategy throughout the organization. Building on that experience, she takes a strategic and practical approach, working closely with clients to design and implement global data privacy and security programs tailored to their business.
Hilary counsels clients on a wide range of data privacy and security matters, including:
- Advising on U.S. state and federal privacy and cybersecurity laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), COPPA, CAN-SPAM, VPPA and GLB as well as global data protection laws such as the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Developing and delivering customized training to help clients safeguard personal information and meet their data protection obligations
- Designing and implementing incident response plans
- Leading responses to data breach and security incidents and providing guidance on breach notification and remediation
- Counseling on privacy and data security risks in connection with mergers and acquisitions
Hilary also has substantial experience – both in house and as outside counsel – advising on a broad array of matters, including employment, intellectual property, First Amendment, antitrust, bankruptcy/restructuring, and general commercial litigation.
Hilary is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
Admitted in New York only.
Education and Honors
- Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism (M.S., 2005)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1989)
- State University of New York at Albany (B.A., 1985)
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Professional and Civic Activities
- Jazz House Kids (Vice Chair of Board of Directors, 2015-2020)