Hilary Lane is a Partner on the Data Protection & Security team. She has extensive experience helping businesses navigate the privacy and cybersecurity landscape nationally and around the globe.
As Chief Privacy Officer for a multinational media and entertainment company, Hilary built, implemented and led its global Privacy program across diverse operating units and drove strategy throughout the organization. Building on that experience, she takes a strategic and practical approach, working closely with clients to design and implement global data privacy and security programs tailored to their business.
Hilary counsels clients on a wide range of data privacy and security matters, including:
- Advising on U.S. state and federal privacy and cybersecurity laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), COPPA, CAN-SPAM, VPPA and GLB as well as global data protection laws such as the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Developing and delivering customized training to help clients safeguard personal information and meet their data protection obligations
- Designing and implementing incident response plans
- Leading responses to data breach and security incidents and providing guidance on breach notification and remediation
- Counseling on privacy and data security risks in connection with mergers and acquisitions
Hilary also has substantial experience – both in house and as outside counsel – advising on a broad array of matters, including employment, intellectual property, First Amendment, antitrust, bankruptcy/restructuring, and general commercial litigation.
Hilary is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
Admitted in New York only.
Education and Honors
- Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism (M.S., 2005)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1989)
- State University of New York at Albany (B.A., 1985)
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Professional and Civic Activities
- Jazz House Kids (Vice Chair of Board of Directors, 2015-2020)