Ian Park, Ph.D. focuses on assisting intellectual property clients and the attorney team in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications with a focus on mechanical-related inventions.
Ian has more than 7 years of experience as a research scientist and has authored scientific articles and grant submissions. While completing his undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering, he worked on the development of a control apparatus for an autonomous GPS-guided rocket payload recovery system. Throughout his graduate studies in mechanical engineering, he conducted research on (i) biofluids and hemodynamics for pediatric heart disease, (ii) artificial muscle and soft robotics development using electroactive polymers, and (iii) deployable and morphing structures.
His research experience also includes simulations, manufacturing, technical writing, oral presentations at international conferences, and project management. He has also been an invited session chair for international conferences and a peer reviewer for scientific journals.
Education and Honors
- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (Ph.D., 2019)
- Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
- Thesis title: Large Deformable Soft Actuators Using Dielectric Elastomer and Origami-Inspired Structures
- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (M.S., 2015)
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Thesis title: Lumped Parameter Model for a Self-Powered Fontan Palliation of the Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (B.S., 2012)
- Major: Aerospace Engineering with a focus in Astronautics
- Chinese - Mandarin (Limited Working Proficiency)