James J. Gatziolis practices in the areas of business law, mergers and acquisitions, finance and creditors' rights, tax, and business planning. He has extensive experience in the representation of closely held businesses and in business and legal affairs. He also has varied experience in the representation of banks and commercial lenders in the origination, documentation, and enforcement of commercial transactions. Mr. Gatziolis' recent experience includes
- Structuring of a new enterprise for the soliciting of investor funds and acquiring government-subsidized housing properties.
- Representation of substantial distributor in the purchase of a manufacturing company of related products.
- Representation of non-U.S. concerns in domestic joint ventures for the operation of marketing and manufacturing enterprises.
- Restructuring a limited liability company to recognize the admission to equity of chief manager and key employees.
- Negotiation of joint venture between internet-based business and users association.
- Formation of related companies for the development of an investment in industrial real property projects.
- Representation of lender in large regional bankruptcy requiring post-bankruptcy financing and extensive dealings with municipalities and state government.
- Representation of lender in the workout of an airplane-fleet-financing transaction, including the sale of excess collateral and resolution of the balance of unpaid loan obligations.
- Participation in plan for family to restructure family assets and minimize effect of taxes.
- Assistance in the organization of a new health benefits concern, including employee equity participation contracts.
- Representation of board of city not-for-profit club in the restructuring of its affairs.
- Advice to parties forming mortgage concern, including both regulatory and organizational matters.
- Business Law
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring, and Creditor's Rights
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Education and Honors
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 1973)
- University of Illinois (B.S., 1970)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Mr. Gatziolis received his Illinois CPA Certificate in 1973
- Member, American and Hellenic Bar Associations, Order of Ahepa
- Member, Union League Club of Chicago Big D
- Member Trustees, Treasurer, Union League Boys and Girls Clubs
- Member Board of Directors, Union League Club Civic and Arts Foundation
- Member and Past-President Hellenic Foundation Board of Directors
- Formerly Director of Non-Profit Financial Center and Christopher House
- Selected as an Illinois Leading Lawyer - Leading Lawyers Network, 2017–present (Closely & Privately Held Business)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2006–2011 Illinois Super Lawyers® lists (Business/Corporate)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Leading Lawyers Network member