Biochemist Jean Baker, Ph.D., focused her practice on the drafting and prosecution of chemical, biochemical, and pharmaceutical patent applications and on patentability and infringement opinions — she had drafted and prosecuted portfolios of multiple patents involving biofilms, biofuels, blood chemistry, stem cell biology, chemotherapeutics, and use of micro-arrays. She was formerly the national chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group as well as an adjunct professor of Patent Law at Marquette University, the co-chair of the Door County Intellectual Property Law Academy, and the chair of the State Bar Intellectual Property Section. Jean was a leader as much as a practitioner, who represented not only research institutions but any business engaged in the protection of nascent technology.
Jean had special experience in the fields of transgenic micro-organisms, plants, and animals and recombinant DNA techniques, including production and use of modified proteins. She had drafted and prosecuted many patent applications drawn to nucleic acid assays and detection methods and to model systems for drug testing. She also had specific experience in transgenic organisms designed to optimize biofuel components.
Given her credentials, Jean was clearly fascinated with the development of biotechnology, and in fact she believed that now is an especially exciting time to be part of that field. Extraordinary developments are not only on the horizon but in the patent prosecution process, and Jean had positioned herself to be an invaluable resource to her clients in bringing such developments to market. She was both attorney and scientist, as well as academic, and loved to see new technologies developed into products that benefit everyone.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., with honors, 1990)
- Order of the Coif
- University of Georgia (Ph.D., 1987)
- Major: Biochemistry
- University of Georgia (B.S., 1979)
- Major: Biochemistry
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Intellectual Property Section (Board Member, 2000–present; Vice Chairman, 2002–2003; Chairman, 2003–2004)
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (Secretary-Treasurer, 1995–1997; President, 1997–1998)
- Past Chairperson, Quarles' Intellectual Property Practice Group
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2017 Milwaukee Patent Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2012 Milwaukee Biotechnology Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named a Woman of Influence by the Milwaukee Business Journal (2011)
- Honored as one of 2010's Women in the Law by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2006–present: Intellectual Property)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2006–2008, 2011, 2018 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Intellectual Property)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2005–present: Biotechnology Law / Patent Law, Litigation - Intellectual Property)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated