With nearly 30 years of experience as an attorney, Jeff has a long track record of successful representations. These are just a few examples:
- Defending a national retail services franchisor in a class action alleging violations of California wage and hour statutes.
- Defending a national retail services franchisor in a dispute over terminated software development agreement in which the plaintiff is seeking $15 million in damages.
- Represented a major credit card issuer in a defense of action for aiding and abetting fraud and conversion in which the plaintiff, a publicly traded corporation, sought over $20 million in damages. Obtained a dismissal of the plaintiff’s claims on a Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss.
- Defended an international ice cream franchisor in a national class action suit arising from claims under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act. Obtained a dismissal of the lawsuit prior to the client's filing its initial responsive pleading.
- Represented an international ice cream franchisor in several termination-related franchisee disputes involving violations of quality-assurance and systems standards and unpaid royalties. Obtained preliminary injunctions to enjoin franchisees from violating post-termination covenants and the Lanham Act.
- Represent a major petroleum marketer in litigation matters involving termination-related claims asserted by franchise dealers under the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act.
- Represented a fast-food franchisor in a dispute with a former franchisee that abandoned its subleased restaurant premises. Obtained an order of eviction against the franchisee-sublessee, full recovery of past-due franchise royalties and rent, and our client’s attorneys’ fees.
- Represented the world’s largest guest lodging and real estate franchisor and its numerous subsidiaries (including Ramada, Days Inn, Super 8, Century 21, Coldwell Bank, and ERA Realty) as southwest regional counsel in dozens of litigation matters arising from franchisee disputes, including enforcement of quality-assurance and brand standards and termination-related disputes.
- Represent a family-style, casual-dining franchisor in cases involving ADA public access claims, FACTA claims, and franchisee disputes regarding the enforcement of quality-assurance and brand standards, unpaid royalties, and the violation of post-termination restrictive covenants.
- Represented an employment staffing franchisor in a complex “mini-class action” arbitration proceeding that involved more than 20 franchisees, asserting claims in excess of $7 million.
- Represented a hotel franchisor in a litigation matter against a former franchisee, arising from unfair competition and trademark infringement. Obtained a temporary restraining order to prevent the franchisee from prematurely terminating and converting to a competing hotel brand.
- Represent a retail membership-based franchisor of massage services as lead national litigation counsel in matters involving franchisee and regional developer disputes and third-party vicarious liability claims.
- Represented an international print shop franchisor in a lawsuit filed by a former franchisee, in which claims of breach of contract and unfair trade practices were alleged. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of client on all claims.
- Represented an international cookie franchisor in a dispute involving health and safety violations, brand standards, and unpaid royalties. Obtained a preliminary injunction to enforce termination and enjoin the franchisee from Lanham Act violations.
- Represent an international real estate franchisor as lead national litigation counsel in numerous trademark infringement actions and franchisee disputes throughout the United States and abroad.
- Defended a business sign franchisor in several related actions filed by a former franchisee, alleging fraudulent earnings claim, racketeering, and breach of franchise agreement. Court granted summary judgment on all claims asserted by the franchisee.
- Represented a legal document preparation franchisor in a termination-related dispute with a multiple-unit franchisee. Obtained a temporary restraining order, and then permanent injunction, enjoining the franchisee from continuing to operate a competing business utilizing our client’s trade secrets.