Jeff Spoerk focuses his practice on product liability and toxic tort litigation. He advises and defends product manufacturers on a wide variety of product liability issues.
Jeff has served as national or regional trial counsel in more than 25 state and federal courts in cases involving trucks, automobiles, aircraft engines, motorcycles, fire apparatus, trailers, aerial devices, cranes, forklifts, presses, farm equipment, electrical equipment, food processing equipment, compressors, paper-making equipment, building construction, gas equipment, chemical plants, chemicals, dioxins, and lead paint.
In addition to defending lawsuits, Jeff assists clients with business planning, safety reviews, product design, product recalls, and warnings to promote proactive risk avoidance. As an experienced chemical engineer, he is conversant with issues involving mechanics, chemistry, physics, metallurgy, accident reconstruction, and other engineering sciences.
His recent experience includes:
- Trial counsel in multi-thousand plaintiff dioxin exposure case.
- Lead trial counsel in semi-trailer underride case.
- Lead trial counsel in construction forklift case.
- Lead trial counsel in Florida case involving SUV and trailer crash. Obtained voluntary dismissal after one day.
- Defended paint manufacturer in first-of-its-kind lead paint trial in Wisconsin.
- Trial counsel in Nevada case involving a failure of chemical equipment in a gold processing facility.
- Lead trial counsel for multi-plaintiff hearing loss claims.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1987)
- Northwestern University Law Review (Editorial Board, 1986 –1987)
- Order of the Coif
- Northwestern University (B.S., highest distinction, 1984)
- Major: Chemical Engineering
- 1984 Harry McCormick Award: Top Chemical Engineering Graduate
- Practical experience with Kodak as project engineer; production engineer in a chemical plant
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1989
Professional and Civic Activities
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, law clerk, 1987–1988
- Wisconsin State Bar, member
- American Bar Association, member
- Defense Research Institute, member
- SAE Work Truck Safety Committee, member
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2012-present: Product Liability Litigation - Defendants)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated