Jeff Davis is chair of the insurance recovery group at Quarles & Brady. He creates high-level litigation and risk management strategies to achieve success for clients, particularly those who are involved in asbestos and similar long tail exposures. He comes from a commercial litigation background, and continues to represent clients in various commercial litigation matters, but over the course of his career has broadened his focus to assist corporate clients in addressing and managing risk in a broad array of corporate liability exposures, including D&O, EPL, fiduciary, transactional, and cyber.
Jeff has argued a number of leading insurance coverage decisions on behalf of policyholders in the Wisconsin Supreme Court, and has also obtained summary judgments and arbitration awards for insured manufacturer clients in multi-million dollar coverage disputes involving commercial general liability policy issues arising out of asbestos and other long tail claims. He also frequently writes, teaches and lectures on these and other insurance-related subjects, and is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Marquette University Law School, where he teaches insurance law. His commercial litigation experience has long included a focus on representing employers and employees in contested restraining order and injunction hearings involving covenants not to compete and trade secret claims, and he continues to maintain an active practice in that area as well.
Following are representative examples of Jeff's experience.
Represented the policyholders in what are generally considered two of the most significant insurance coverage cases for long tail claims in the history of Wisconsin jurisprudence, resulting in billions of dollars of coverage for Wisconsin policyholders:
- Plastics Engineering v. Liberty Mutual, 315 Wis.2d 556, 759 N.W.2d 613, 2009 WI 13. Obtained adoption of "all sums" allocation method and multiple occurrence theory which allows insureds to receive full defense and indemnity for asbestos and similar long tail claims.
- Johnson Controls v. Employers Insurance of Wausau, 2003 WI 108, 264 Wis.2d 60, 665 N.W.2d 257. Obtained overruling of City of Edgerton v. General Casualty Co., paving the way for insurance coverage for environmental liability.
- Harley-Davidson in Tietsworth v. Harley-Davidson, 270 Wis.2d 146, 677 N.W.2d 233, 2004 WI 32 (2004). Represented Harley Davidson, obtaining reversal in a class action suit seeking damages based on a product's alleged "propensity to fail."
- Foxwood Estates Homeowners Ass'n v. Foxwood Estates, LLC, Case No. 2013AP1103 (Wis. App. 2015). Served as lead counsel for homeowners association (HOA) in three week jury trial which resulted in a verdict for the HOA awarding title and attorneys' fees and was upheld on appeal.
- Advises and litigates on issues concerning non-compete and unfair competition matters
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Data Privacy & Security
Education and Honors
- Ohio State University–Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1987)
- Ohio State Law Journal (Member, 1986-1987).
- Miami University (B.S., 1984)
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1988
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member; Bench Bar Committee, 1995-1997)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Treasurer, Appellate Practice Section, 2000-2002; State Bar Program Co-chair, 2001-2002; Chairperson-Elect, 2003; Chair, 2004-2005
- State Bar of Wisconsin High School Mock Trial Tournament (Milwaukee region, Co-coordinator, 1995-2009)
- Fox Point Foundation (Board Member, 1992-1997; Treasurer, 1995-1997)
- Fox Point Village Ethics Board (2005-2007)
- Fox Point Village Trustee (2007-2009)
- Named a 2014 BTI Client Service All-Star by The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013-present: Insurance Law)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005–present Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Business Litigation)