John Franzini practiced intellectual property law with a focus on patent preparation and prosecution, litigation, and contracts. He had extensive experience in assisting companies in acquiring and protecting product designs, technology, and business know-how. He also represented clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and federal courts. Mr. Franzini had extensive professional experience in:
- Industrial control systems.
- Pumps, hydraulic systems, and components.
- Medical devices.
- Electrical tools and instruments.
- Agricultural equipment.
- Machine tools.
- Molding and extrusion.
- Powder metal products and processes.
- Timber harvesting equipment.
- Electrical and telecommunications equipment.
- Woodworking tools.
- Recreational vehicle systems and components.
- Internal combustion engines.
- Business methods.
- Material handling and packaging.
His recent experience included:
- Counseled clients about obtaining, enforcing, and defending against patents.
- Obtained U.S. and foreign patents.
- Enforced patents on behalf of patent owners.
- Defended against claims of patent infringement.
- Negotiated and drafted technology licenses and joint product development contracts.
- Rendered opinions regarding patent infringement.
- Performed due diligence reviews of intellectual property in acquisitions and mergers.
- Advised other lawyers on enforcing and defending against patents, including as an expert witness consultant.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1983)
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Tau Beta Pi
- University of Wisconsin (B.S.M.E., 1979)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1984
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member: Milwaukee Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Chairman, Intellectual Property Law Section, 1992–1993)
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (Board Member, 1988–1990, Program Chairman, 1984–1985 and Secretary/Treasurer, 1986–1988)
- Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (1995–present: Litigation – Intellectual Property; Litigation – Patent; Patent Law)