John Barry focuses his practice in the areas of taxation and mergers and acquisitions, involving both public and private companies. He is the former Wisconsin State Bar Tax Chair. His experience includes representation of clients in connection with tax-free reorganizations, spinoffs, taxable stock and asset sales and purchase transactions, and partnership transactions including the formation and structuring of private equity funds. Mr. Barry also has extensive experience in tax controversy matters before the Internal Revenue Service, Wisconsin Department of Revenue, and various state taxing jurisdictions. Mr. Barry is a past-Chair of the State Bar of Wisconsin Tax Law section. His recent experience includes:
- Providing tax opinions to clients in connection with tax-free reorganizations and other merger/acquisition transactions.
- Negotiating voluntary disclosure agreements with various state taxing authorities to obtain significant tax savings for clients.
- Representing clients in disclosing their foreign financial accounts to the IRS.
- Representation of investment funds and investors in private placement investments in limited partnerships and limited liability companies.
- Consultation on a variety of federal, international, and state and local tax planning opportunities for clients.
- Administrative and judicial dispute resolution in connection with matters before the Internal Revenue Service, Wisconsin Department of Revenue, and various state and local taxing authorities.
- Applications for numerous private letter rulings from the Internal Revenue Service.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1997)
- University of Wisconsin (B.B.A., with honors, 1994)
- U.S. Tax Court, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1997
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (past Chairperson, Taxation Section; Member, Business Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Taxation Section)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants (Member)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2009–present: Litigation & Controversy – Tax / Tax Law)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers® Rising Stars 2007–2008, 2011–2012 Editions (Tax)
- Certified Public Accountant, Wisconsin, 2001
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2020 Milwaukee Litigation and Controversy - Tax "Lawyer of the Year"