Commitment to Diversity
John has been a driving force behind Quarles & Brady’s fulsome commitment to diversity & inclusion. His motto, “Everybody counts, every day,” permeates firm messaging, both internally and externally, and both Quarles and John himself have been honored repeatedly for making diversity more than a politically correct aspiration. More recent awards that John has personally received for his dedication to diversity include:
- Central City Business Award (2014 - The Business Journal of Milwaukee)
- Spirit of Excellence Award (2012 - American Bar Association Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Legal Profession)
- Legend of the Year (2012 - Milwaukee Community Journal)
- Pathfinder Award (2011 - African-American Managing Partners Network)
- Friend of Hispanic Community Award (2011 - United Community Center)
John also serves diversity & inclusion actively in both the community and the legal profession, sitting on the following boards:
Chicago United promotes multiracial leadership in business to advance parity in economic opportunity. Chicago United supports the business community’s need to maximize the use of corporate and entrepreneurial talent and brings together diverse senior business leaders to break through barriers and realize the benefits of diversity and inclusion. John serves on the organization’s board of directors.
The words “Leadership Council on Legal Diversity” are carefully chosen: Since the formation of the LCLD was announced in May 2009, the group has focused on developing strategies to increase diversity in the legal profession. Just as importantly, the LCLD has brought together the leaders of law firms and corporate legal departments to do just that. John served on the board of directors.