Jordan Maglich is a member of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group where his practice focuses on commercial litigation, securities and financial services, and regulatory matters.
Mr. Maglich regularly practices in arbitration forums and state, federal, and bankruptcy courts in matters involving a wide variety of civil disputes and other business-related litigation. Jordan also regularly represents securities broker/dealers, investment advisors, and their associated persons in federal and state court and in arbitration. In addition to handling disputes brought by former customers or associated persons, Jordan has also obtained various affirmative relief for financial services firms including injunctive relief to prevent non-customers from proceeding in arbitral forums as well as the recovery of transition and incentive payments to departed registered representatives.
Mr. Maglich has significant experience handling regulatory matters. In addition to counseling and defending individuals and entities facing regulatory inquiries, subpoenas, and investigations by state and federal agencies including the Securities and Exchange Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Florida Office of Financial Regulation, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and Department of Justice, Mr. Maglich has also served as lead counsel to court-appointed receivers appointed in connection with regulatory enforcement actions brought by federal and state regulators.
His recent experience has included:
- Representing court-appointed receivers nominated by the SEC, FTC, Florida Office of the Attorney General, and the Florida Office of Financial Regulation. This included marshaling and securing assets as well as pursuing litigation against third parties based on their participation in the scheme or receipt of fraudulent transfers. Through those efforts, victims collectively received at least 50% of their respective allowed claims;
- Identifying, seizing, and liquidating various cryptocurrency assets;
- Defending an affiliate marketer accused of violations of the Commodities Exchange Act through the alleged promotion of binary options;
- Defending individuals in investigations and actions initiated by the SEC involving insider trading, microcap fraud, pump and dump schemes, bond underwriting, registration issues, attorney opinion letters, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act;
- Successfully defending a national financial services firm accused of violations of Regulation SHO which resulted in denial of plaintiffs’ claims after trial;
- Secured major brokerage house’s dismissal from FINRA arbitration based on ineligibility of claims;
- Obtaining full repayment of client’s six-figure investment in private placement investment over misrepresentations in offering materials;
- Defending broker-dealer and its registered principal in SEC investigation and subsequent administrative proceeding;
- Obtained multiple injunctions enjoining non-customers from compelling brokerage firm’s participation in FINRA arbitration;
- Defending individual subpoenaed by DOJ relating to undeclared foreign bank accounts;
- Conducting an internal investigation for a national financial services firm subpoenaed by the Florida Office of Financial Regulation.
Jordan is also the author of Ponzitracker, an internet blog tracking Ponzi schemes available at www.ponzitracker.com.
Education and Honors
- University of Miami School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2010)
- Charles C. Papy, Jr. Moot Court (Member, Moot Court Board)
- Dean's Merit Scholarship (Recipient, 2006-2010)
- University of Miami (M.B.A., 2010)
- Graduate Assistantship (Recipient, 2008-2010)
- University of Florida (B.S., cum laude, 2006)
- Major: Business Administration
- University of Florida (B.A., 2006)
- Major: Political Science
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- Federal Bar Association (Member)
- Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association (Executive Board Member)
- Florida Bar 13th Circuit Grievance Committee “E” (Member)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (Member)
- National Association of Federal Equity Receivers (NAFER, Member)
- Securities Law Section of Hillsborough County Bar Association (Committee Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Florida Guardian ad Litem Program (Certified Guardian ad Litem)
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars Edition (2015-present)
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rating