Katie Muldoon represents clients on estate planning, estate administration, business succession, and trust administration matters. Recognizing that each family is unique, she offers creative and pragmatic tax solutions to fit each client's needs.
Katie has extensive experience counseling family and closely held businesses on succession planning. She enjoys learning about the history of the company and the people involved. Katie also understands how to navigate conflicting emotions between different generations and/or family lines.
Katie's trust and estate experience includes:
- Working with high-net-worth families to structure tax-efficient estate plans.
- Drafting complex trusts to facilitate intergenerational transfers of wealth.
- Reviewing and recommending updates to corporate governance documents to ensure that they are in sync with a client's estate plan.
- Probating estates and preparing estate tax returns.
- Advising trustees, or acting as trustee, of irrevocable trusts.
- Handling IRS estate tax audits.
Katie's business succession planning experience includes:
- Assisting a second-generation business owner in transitioning control of the company to the adult child who is actively involved in the business, while economically benefitting other adult children who were not involved in the business.
- Advising a first-generation business owner on the transition of company stock in a way that secures an income stream for retirement.
- Updating the estate plan for a business owner during the sale to a family member, achieving the goal of treating all family members "fairly".
- Tax planning for business owners prior to the sale of their businesses.
- Planning to ensure appropriate control of a business following the death of a matriarch/patriarch.
- Structuring business transition to protect against a future divorce
- Negotiating a smooth exit from a family business.
- Helping assess the merits of an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) as a transition option.
- Implementing stock redemption programs to provide security for the spouse and child.
Katie lives in Wauwatosa with her husband and four children. She is an avid cyclist and rower, and is an active board member at Discovery World.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- Boston University School of Law
- University of Notre Dame
- Women's Varsity Rowing Team
Professional and Civic Activities
- Discovery World, Board of Directors
- Milwaukee Bar Association, Trusts & Estate Section, Program Chair 2017-2018; Vice Chair 2016-2017
- Listed as Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America® ( 2022: Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2019-present: Trusts and Estates, 2021, 2022: Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law)