Laura Buchanan is a member of the Data Privacy & Security Team within the Intellectual Property Practice Group. Her practice focuses on the negotiation and drafting of software licensing contracts and professional service agreements involving information technology. Laura also counsels clients on data privacy and security issues, which includes the drafting of website terms and policies.
Laura previously served as a judicial extern for a United States District Judge in the Northern District of Illinois, and she was a summer associate at Quarles & Brady in 2016. During law school, she was a member of the Indiana Law Journal and was a tournament finalist in the Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition.
In addition to Laura's intellectual property practice, she is highly involved in Chicago's startup community. She has close relationships with a number of founders, accelerators, incubators, and investors in the Chicagoland area, and she is a contributing writer to a Chicago Startups Newsletter that features early stage Chicago startup companies and upcoming startup community events. As part of her experience advising founders, she has served on a panel of judges reviewing and critiquing funding pitches.
Education and Honors
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law - Bloomington (J.D., cum laude, 2017)
- Indiana Law Journal (Online Articles Editor)
- Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition, Tournament Finalist
- CALI Award for highest grade in Intellectual Property Survey; CALI Award for highest grade in Trial Advocacy
- Research Assistant
- Miami University (B.A., 2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2017
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Professional and Civic Activities
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (Member)
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (Junior Board Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- 2018 Recipient of Quarles & Brady Michael Gonring Pro Bono Team Award for representing a defendant in a Hague Convention case