Laura Buchanan is a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group. She focuses her practice on general intellectual property litigation matters including patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
Laura previously served as a judicial extern for a United States District Judge in the Northern District of Illinois, and she was a summer associate at Quarles & Brady in 2016. During law school, she was a member of the Indiana Law Journal and was a tournament finalist in the Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition.
In addition to Ms. Buchanan's intellectual property practice, she is highly involved in Chicago's startup community. She has close relationships with a number of accelerators, incubators, investors, and founders in the Chicagoland area, and she is a contributing writer to a Chicago Startups Newsletter that features early stage Chicago startup companies and upcoming startup community events. As part of her experience advising founders, she has served on a panel of judges reviewing and critiquing funding pitches.
Education and Honors
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law - Bloomington (J.D., cum laude, 2017)
- Indiana Law Journal (Online Articles Editor)
- Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition, Tournament Finalist
- CALI Award for highest grade in Intellectual Property Survey; CALI Award for highest grade in Trial Advocacy
- Research Assistant
- Miami University (B.A., 2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2017
Professional and Civic Activities
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (Member)
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (Junior Board Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)