Lauren Beslow’s practice focuses on bankruptcy and creditors’ rights issues, commercial litigation, and finance. Lauren is a partner in the Chicago office of Quarles & Brady LLP. She routinely advises financial institutions and other creditor clients in protecting their rights in all aspects of bankruptcy proceedings, assignments for the benefit of creditors, federal and state court foreclosures, and receivership actions. She has also guided numerous landlord clients when dealing with tenants that are in financial distress or have filed for bankruptcy.
Lauren has earned a reputation as a pre-eminent litigator in matters related to bankruptcy and insolvency cases and complex commercial litigation. She has extensive experience prosecuting and defending fraudulent transfer and preferential transfer actions, non-dischargeability claims, lender liability claims, plan disputes, directors and officers liability, and successor liability actions. Lauren honed her commercial litigation skills while completing an extensive, full-time secondment at a multinational banking and financial services corporation as an attorney in the Litigation Group where she managed a large litigation portfolio and advised multiple lines of business on strategy and risk.
Lauren’s work includes representing sellers and purchasers in sales of distressed assets, both in Section 363 bankruptcy sales, out-of-court sales of distressed assets and UCC Article 9 foreclosure sales. Lauren also assists vehicle and equipment manufacturers and lenders when working with troubled dealerships.
Lauren has extensive experience structuring, drafting, and negotiating documentation on the front and back end of transactions for a variety of commercial loan transactions, including single lender and syndicated financing arrangements, revolving lines of credit, and inventory financing. She also assists her clients with drafting and renegotiating all types of commercial contracts to provide the maximum protection for dealing with financial distress.
- Representation of a private equity group in connection with a loan made to a biopharmaceutical company during a Chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring as a prelude to the acquisition of the company.
- Representation of casinos in fraudulent transfer litigation and non-dischargeability litigation.
- Counsel to a senior secured lender in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy of a large nonprofit association.
- Guided a floor-plan lender in bankruptcy of manufactured home dealership and personal guarantor.
- Successful defeat of several iterations of a borrower's bankruptcy plan on behalf of lender. Also represented lender in associated state -court foreclosure and lender liability lawsuit resulting in full dismissal which was confirmed on appeal.
- Representation of a purchaser of millions of dollars of assets in a Section 363 sale.
- Representation of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 trustee in consolidated bankruptcy cases of Giordano’s Enterprises, Inc.
- Representation of an insurer in mass tort Chapter 11 reorganization
- Successfully defended an officer of an insolvent company through trial on allegations of fraudulent transfer and breach of duty.
- Successfully obtained asylum for a family from Ethiopia
- Representation of Amicus Curiae in several high-profile wrongful conviction criminal cases
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring, and Creditor's Rights
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2006)
- Law student extern to the Honorable Allen S. Goldberg, Law Division, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois
- Editor, University of Illinois Jessup Moot Court
- Emory University (B.A., 2003)
Professional and Civic Activities
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Chicago Network (Co-Chair, 2017-Present), (Secretary, 2015-2017), (Sponsorship Chair, 2014-2016) (Programming Co-Chair, 2013-2014)
- Quarles & Brady (Recruiting Committee, Summer Associates, 2015-Present)
- Quarles & Brady (Chair/Co-Chair of the Chicago Summer Associate Program, 2013-2015)
- Quarles & Brady (Associate Development Committee, 2009-2011)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars Edition (2009–2011, 2013–2016: Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights)
- Selected as an Illinois Emerging Lawyer - Law Bulletin Media, 2017–present (Bankruptcy & Workout: Commercial; Creditor's Rights/Commercial Collection)