Lindsay Schafer is a member of the Labor & Employment Group who represents employers of all sizes across a wide range of industries. With an emphasis on litigation, she uses her direct trial experience to inform strategy in advising clients on all aspects of litigation, arbitration and mediation. She has handled litigation matters of claims based on Title VII, ADA, FMLA, ADEA, the Arizona Civil Rights Act, and other discrimination and harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge and unfair competition claims.
In addition to her litigation work, Lindsay also manages diverse and complex internal investigations and provides guidance to clients in all aspects of employment law compliance to help mitigate legal risk while adhering to business objectives and policies.
Lindsay also provides assistance to clients regarding traditional employment needs, including drafting and negotiating employment agreements, providing practical guidance to HR on performance management and EEO matters, and preparation of policies, handbooks, and training presentations and materials. Her public speaking topics include wage and hour, ADA/FMLA, and paid sick time compliance.
- Trial experience including suits of sexual harassment and retaliation claims, and wage and hour class/collective action suits
- Wage and hour collective/class actions, including suits under Arizona, California and federal law
- Single-plaintiff discrimination, harassment, and retaliation cases and administrative charges in multiple states
- Internal investigations of workplace misconduct and policy violation issues, including but not limited to sexual harassment, discrimination on all protected bases, reasonable accommodation compliance and retaliation, timecard reporting and fraud issues, wage and hour compliance issues, and conflicts of interest
- Advice for Fortune 10 to Fortune 100 companies on employment law compliance with direct experience in EEO compliance, leaves of absence and disability/lactation accommodations in retail environments (FMLA, ADA, and state/local law, including California CFRA and PDL), wage and hour best practices and compliance, and nation-wide paid sick time and PTO compliance
- Preparation and negotiation of employment, separation and settlement agreements
Education and Honors
- University of Arizona–James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2011)
- University of Redlands (B.A., with honors, 2008)
- Major: Government and English Literature
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
Professional and Civic Activities
- Phoenix Public Library Foundation (Board of Directors, 2012-2018)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- Southwest Super Lawyers® Rising Stars (2013–2018)