Lori Meddings helps clients protect and enforce their intellectual property throughout the world, with a focus on maximizing the value of the company's trademarks and copyrights and defending against unfair competition in advertising. She is Chair of the firm's Trademark subgroup within the Intellectual Property Practice Group.
In all client interactions, Lori's primary goal is to understand the business and find solutions to legal challenges which meet the company's goals and objectives. With over 17 years' experience, her approach and results evidence Lori's dedication to providing her clients with tremendous value and outstanding service.
Many of Lori’s clients have a global presence and require advice and protection for their international IP portfolios. Her client roster extends across the U.S. and to Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Korea, and the United Kingdom. Lori has worked with numerous clients to combat counterfeit goods, especially in China, handling matters surrounding products that are produced and sold in China, as well as products sold worldwide. Clients rely on Lori for advice as they seek to seize counterfeit offerings on China’s largest retailer and e-commerce sites and at trade shows. When appropriate, she works closely with Chinese counsel to devise strategies to fight and prevent counterfeit activity.
Clients also seek Lori’s experience in handling opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) where she has represented clients in numerous fully briefed cases resulting in final decisions. Lori has also been successful in registering and enforcing non-traditional trademarks (trade dress), in particular color marks, in the U.S. and other jurisdictions. Trademark registration rights for product color, packaging, and design are a valuable tool in the client's IP arsenal, and allow them to record the registration with customs agencies, and have greater success with enforcement.
In addition to being geographically diverse, Lori’s clients represent a variety of industries, ranging from consumer product categories (including toys, bicycles and clothing) to industrial and commercial products (including construction equipment, software in the insurance and financial industries, and bearings), to the food/beverage/restaurant sector and a wide variety of services.
- Litigated over 50 disputes before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, including four cases that went to final decision. Many cases were successfully settled on behalf of clients.
- Successfully secured registration of trade dress for a variety of product configurations, product packaging, and color trademarks in the U.S., China, and many other countries.
- Led a multifaceted, anti-genericism campaign for a client simultaneously in multiple jurisdictions.
- Managed a multi-jurisdictional, anti-counterfeiting campaign involving South America, Russia and China, that includes strategic counseling and coordination, working closely with local customs agencies, pursuit of online takedowns on major sales platforms, and litigation.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- International Services
- Trademarks & Copyrights
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 2001)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A., 1996)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Professional and Civic Activities
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- International Trademark Association (INTA) (Member)
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Non-Traditional Marks Committee (Sub-Group Chair)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Dane County Rape Crisis Center (Board Chair)
- Named in the "2016 Leaders in the Law" by the Wisconsin Law Journal