Lori Meddings helps clients protect and enforce their intellectual property throughout the world, with a focus on driving revenue and maximizing the value of the company's trademarks and copyrights, while combatting loss in value and interference with business caused by counterfeits and trademark squatting.
Lori's expertise in global portfolio management and cross-border enforcement efforts benefit her roster of clients which span a variety of industries, ranging from consumer product categories (including toys, bicycles and clothing), to industrial and commercial products (including construction equipment, software in the insurance and financial industries, and bearings), to the food/beverage/restaurant sector and a wide variety of service sectors.
With all clients, Lori's primary goal is to understand the business and find solutions to legal challenges that meet the company's goals and objectives. Her experienced approach and successful results highlight Lori's dedication to providing her clients with tremendous value and outstanding service.
Lori helps clients fight counterfeit goods produced and sold worldwide, with a particular focus on China. Clients turn to her as they seek to seize counterfeit offerings on China’s largest retailer and e-commerce site, Alibaba.com, as well as at trade shows and in local markets.
Clients seek Lori's experience in handling opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), where she has represented clients in numerous fully briefed cases resulting in final decisions. She also has been successful in registering and enforcing non-traditional trademarks (trade dress), in particular color marks, in the U.S. and other jurisdictions. Trademark and copyright registration rights for product color, packaging, and design are a valuable tool in the client's IP arsenal, allowing them to record the registration with customs agencies and have greater success with enforcement.
She is also skillful in the role of technology and social media to fight copyright and trademark infringement, regularly assisting clients with filing Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA) and platform takedown notices.
Lori is chair of the firm's Intellectual Property Group and its Trademark subgroup.
- Litigated over 75 disputes before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, including four cases that went to final decision. Advantageous settlements were achieved on behalf of many clients.
- Successfully secured registration of trade dress for a variety of product configurations, product packaging and color trademarks in the U.S., China and many other countries.
- Led a multifaceted, anti-genericism campaign for a client simultaneously in multiple jurisdictions.
- Managed a multi-jurisdictional, anti-counterfeiting campaign involving South America, Russia and China that included strategic counseling and coordination, working closely with local customs agencies, pursuit of online takedowns on major sales platforms, and litigation which successfully ended the infringement and stopped the flow of infringing product.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- International Services
- Trademarks & Copyrights
- Trademark Litigation
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 2001)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A., 1996)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Professional and Civic Activities
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association, member
- International Trademark Association (INTA), member
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Anti-Counterfeiting Committee, member
- American Bar Association, member
- Dane County Rape Crisis Center, board chair
- Listed in World Trademark Review 1000, 2020
- Wisconsin Law Journal, "2016 Leaders in the Law"