Scott McBride, Ph.D., is a partner and registered patent attorney in the Intellectual Property Group. He focuses his practice on domestic and international patent prosecution and enforcement. Scott also provides counseling and opinion work related to freedom-to-operate, non-infringement and patent invalidity.
Scott has over 18 years of legal expertise related to the patentability of modified natural products, antibodies, diagnostic methods, new chemical entities, pharmaceutical formulations, vaccines, treatment methods, food products, cosmetic products, and animal feed products. Scott’s representative clients include university technology transfer offices and companies involved in the development of healthcare and diagnostic products.
In addition to his legal experience, Scott has over ten years of experience as a research scientist, and has co-authored articles in scientific journals including the Journal of Virology, RNA, Molecular Cellular Biology, and Gene.
Scott also is involved in academics and is an Adjunct Professor at Marquette University Law School where he teaches courses in intellectual property law.
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Research Institutions
- Higher Education
- Technology Transfer
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., summa cum laude, 2002)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (Ph.D., 1996)
- Ph.D. Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Colorado State University (B.S., 1990)
- Major: Biochemistry, Minor: Chemistry
- Dean’s List (1987-1990)
- U.S. Patent Bar
- Supreme Court of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM), member
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (WIPLA), member