Maria Di Miceli is a member of the firm's Tax-Exempt Organizations Group and Business Law Practice Group. She works on all areas of the lifecycle of a nonprofit from exemption and formation matters to governance and grant-making guidance.
Maria comes to the firm with prior regulatory experience at the IRS Tax Exempt Government Entities’ National Office and substantial in-house nonprofit experience. She focuses her practice on legal and tax implications of activities including: filing for state and federal exemption; drafting articles and bylaws; navigating joint ventures; reporting and avoidance of unrelated business income tax (UBIT); political campaign and lobbying regulatory compliance; reporting and avoidance of the private foundation excise taxes; and dissolution. Maria has experience with private and public charities, social welfare organizations, social clubs, and board of directors’ best practices.
With more than fifteen years in the sector, Maria considers helping nonprofits achieve their missions as a life goal.
Education and Honors
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., with distinction, 2012)
- State and Local Tax Law Certificate
- University of Oregon (J.D., 2010)
- Estate Planning and Tax Law Certificates
- Pro Bono Award
- University of California, Davis (B.A., with honors, 2005)
- Illinois (Pending)
- U.S. Tax Court
Professional and Civic Activities
- Oregon State Bar (Member)
- Illinois State Bar (Member)
- ABA Section on Taxation (Member)
- California Aggie Alumni Finance and Audit Committees (Member: September 2016 – Present)
- iThrive (Founding Board Member and Treasurer: September 2014 – Present)
- Chicago Chapter of Cal Aggie Alumni Association (Volunteer Leader)
- Pro Bono Award