IP Litigation. Develop and manage strategic direction of patent, trade secret and other litigation matters including both district count and office litigation (e.g., IPRs, CBMs, PGRs). Practice is geared toward front end deep dives to develop unparalleled level of understanding of all aspects of a case. Knowledge is power and early and detailed knowledge places our clients in a position of power regardless of whether or not our client is plaintiff or defendant. 25 years of experience drafting and prosecuting complex patents, preparing every facet of opinions, working with teams of litigators on all types of cases and developing and managing post grant Patent Office proceedings form the foundation of a unique and invaluable perspective on all aspects of litigation as well as complex prosecution and opinion work in the context of litigation.
Patent Prosecution. Preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications in a variety of technologies including
IP Asset Management Counseling, Tool Development, and Implementation. Counseling clients in the development of technology and property rights related thereto under U.S. and foreign patent laws; developing and implementing of various IP asset management tools including
Rights in Data Counseling. Counseling clients with respect to obtaining/maintaining rights to access, collect, archive, sell, or otherwise use data/information for various purposes (Rights in Data generally) that are provided by, collected from, or developed for client customers in various industries, the data/information including
Cyber Counseling. Counseling clients in all aspects of cyber-law, including
Licensing. Counseling clients with respect to licensable assets, identifying potential licensees, negotiating license terms, and drafting complete succinct agreements.
IP Due Diligence Counseling. Counseling clients and providing succinct summaries regarding prudence of various types of contemplated relationships and negotiating positions based on
Representative Patent & Technology Clients.
Steelcase Inc., Epic Systems, Ultratec, Inc., Captel Inc., Rockwell International, Inc., General Electric, J Cognex Corp., Inc., Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, Tellaric, Inc., Jorgensen Conveyors, Inc., University of Michigan, Sigma Services, Inc., Bridge Technology, Inc., Versatile Products, Inc.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1992)
- Tau Beta Pi
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Marquette University (B.S.E.E., 1989)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Named Best Lawyers' "2012 Milwaukee Patent Law Lawyer of the Year"
- Named Best Lawyers' "2011 Milwaukee Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2007–present: Litigation – Intellectual Property; Litigation – Patent; Patent Law)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2008–present: Intellectual Property)