Mike Carwin’s practice is dedicated to litigating and resolving complex patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret disputes in federal trial and appellate courts throughout the United States. Within two years of receiving his license to practice law, Mike second chaired and won a two-week trademark infringement jury trial in New York federal court, successfully defending the client against a $160 million damages demand. Mike has contributed to developing a winning evidentiary record, has prepared key testifying witnesses, has participated in selecting a winning jury, and has direct- and cross-examined fact and expert witnesses in the presence of a judge and jury.
Mike is a patent attorney with an undergraduate degree in Molecular & Cell Biology from the University of California, Berkeley and he has a wide variety of technical knowledge. His practice encompasses post-grant proceedings and inter partes review before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Mike’s recent experience includes:
- Representation of a promotional products supplier defending against trade dress infringement in the Southern District of New York to a successful jury verdict.
- Representation of a telecommunications firm defending against patent infringement in the Western District of Texas and gaining a dismissal of the suit.
- Representation of a software and consulting company asserting patent infringement in the Northern District of California.
- Representation of an electrical safety and test equipment manufacturer defending against patent infringement in the Northern District of Illinois and gaining a dismissal of the suit.
Admitted in California, Missouri and the USPTO.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Trademark Litigation
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
Education and Honors
- Southwestern Law School (J.D., 2015)
- Octa-Final Oralist; Moot Court Competition, 2013
- University of California, Berkeley (B.A., 2010)
- Majors: Molecular & Cell Biology
- Director of Health Services; ASUC, Office of the President
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- United Cerebral Palsy of Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara (Board Member)