Norah Jones is an attorney in the Tax-Exempt Organizations Group at Quarles & Brady LLP. She focuses her practice on advising public charities, private foundations, hospitals, trade associations, and other tax-exempt entities on a variety of legal and tax matters, such as
- Advising clients regarding the creation of new tax-exempt organizations and the application for appropriate federal and state tax exemptions for such organizations.
- Advising private foundations regarding complex program-related investment matters, including loans, guarantees, and direct investments.
- Counseling clients with respect to proper structuring of multi-entity coalitions and collaborations.
- Advising clients regarding significant and complex gifts.
- Drafting and reviewing corporate governance documents.
- Advising organizations with respect to maintaining tax-exempt and public charity status.
- Counseling clients regarding unrelated business income matters and structuring.
- Advising organizations regarding compliance with tax laws for tax-exempt organizations, including excess benefit transaction rules and private foundation excise tax laws.
- Representing clients engaged in Internal Revenue Service audits.
- Representing clients seeking rulings from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Assisting private foundations with respect to grants to international organizations and to individuals, expenditure responsibility, and self-dealing.
Education and Honors
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2006)
- Law Journal (Editor-in-Chief, 2005–2006)
- University of Illinois (M.U.P.P., 2001)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., 1998)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law (Member, Board of Directors)
- Adjunct Professor, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
- Chicago Community Trust (Member, Young Professional Advisory Committee)
- Legal Initiative for Nonprofit Corporations (Member, Supervisory Council)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Wisconsin Bar Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Former Chair, Exempt Organizations Division, Federal Tax Committee)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Non-Profit/Charities Law, 2013–present
- Selected for inclusion in the “40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch” by Law Bulletin Publishing Company
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2013 Chicago Non-Profit / Charities Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition (2011–2016: Non-Profit)