Otto Hinks is a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Group who assists clients with patents, litigation, and other intellectual property issues.
Otto's experience includes advising clients in procurement, enforcement, and a wide range of litigation matters, including patent, copyright, trade secret, trademark, trade dress, unfair competition, and false advertising litigation. Additionally, Otto prepares and executes cease and desist actions, discovery, motion practice, claim construction, and proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. His practice also includes enforcing intellectual property on various e-commerce platforms, including experience utilizing Amazon's Utility Patent Neutral Evaluation Procedure (UPNEP).
Before attending law school, Otto spent over a decade as part of the management team for a privately run company based in Phoenix. This business background informs his understanding of his client's overall business needs and how those needs interact practically and strategically with intellectual property issues.
Education and Honors
- Arizona Summit Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2015)
- Arizona Summit Law Review (Executive Board, Executive Articles Editor)
- Intellectual Property Student Association (Member)
- CALI Awards for Lawyering Process II, Patent Law and Drafting, and Evidence
- Arizona State University (B.S.E.E., 2002)
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- Maroon and Gold Scholar Athlete (Men's Varsity Swim Team)
- NCAA Division 1 Swimming and Diving Team All American
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona