Complex commercial finance and real estate transactions
Amanda Morton provides innovative and client-centered representation on commercial transactions in a wide range of industries. She represents lenders, developers, universities, Fortune 500 companies, startups, and small and family-owned businesses. She has worked on both the lender and developer sides of large-scale real estate development, finance and refinance transactions on a wide range of property types. Her extensive law firm and in-house counsel experience in each area includes:
- In commercial finance, she primarily represents lenders in structuring and modifying loans, including loans secured by real estate, syndicated loans, portfolio loans, borrowing base value modifications, loan assumptions, defeasances, mezzanine loans and construction loans.
- In corporate law, Amanda advises clients on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), corporate entity formation and structure, buy-sell agreements, asset purchases, corporate transitions, relationships with affiliated entities, and international contracts and compliance matters.
- In real estate, she counsels clients on purchase and sale transactions, leases, easements, resolution of complex title issues and development projects for all types of commercial properties, including multi-family and mixed-used development projects, retail projects, office projects, military housing, university housing, off-campus housing, and hospital and medical office building projects.
Amanda works with her clients to establish goals for the transaction and tailors her representation accordingly. As a result of her broad experience across multiple industries and transaction types, Amanda also advises clients in novel and developing industries and transaction types where precedent may not be available or applicable.
Experience in Action
- Represents national banks and lenders on complex revolving and term loan credit facilities and syndicated loans.
- Drafts and negotiates loan documents, including secured and unsecured financing and mezzanine loans for institutional lenders.
- Negotiates loan documents from both the borrower and lender perspective, which provides her with the ability to anticipate positions and streamline the loan document negotiation process.
- Negotiates leases for large and small-scale projects, as well as property acquisition and property sale agreements.
- Resolves complex title issues and works with governmental entities at all stages of the development process.
- Negotiates international research agreements.
- Structures and designs relationships and agreements with affiliated entities.
- Represented Purdue University as in-house counsel, negotiating research contracts, corporate partnerships, intellectual property agreements and international initiatives.
- Represented a national lender in a $250 million revolving and term loan credit facility.
- Represented a developer in a national strategic property acquisition plan.
- Represented a developer in a $32 million luxury apartment development.
- Led a streamlining initiative for a top medical organization for the organization’s medical leasing and property management functions.
- Represented an agricultural supply company in a $5 million asset purchase transaction.
- Represented Purdue University in the design, development and servicing of its Income Share Agreement program providing financial aid to students.
- Represented Purdue University in the purchase of Kaplan’s online university, establishing Purdue Online in 2018 ahead of the global pandemic.
- Represented Purdue University in the program design, servicing, consumer finance, corporate entity formation and capital finance components of its Income Share Agreement program, providing an additional financial aid product for students.
News & Insights
- Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2006)
- Senior managing editor of the Mercer Law Review
- Brainerd Currie Honor Society, member
- Wake Forest University (B.A., cum laude, 2002)