Pragmatic dispute resolution across multiple industries
Charles Harper is a litigator who has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants in commercial matters in state and federal courts. He helps clients resolve disputes with an emphasis on:
- Real estate litigation
- Construction litigation
- Automotive matters
- Financial services matters
Charles assists Quarles’ clients in every aspect of dispute resolution by always striving to understand the client’s objectives, then delivering strategies and solutions designed to navigate them to a successful outcome. An experienced trial lawyer, he is able to guide clients through every aspect of the litigation process, including appeal when necessary.
Experience in Action
- Represents and counsels clients on all types of real estate litigation. Clients contact Charles to resolve issues such as construction defect cases, lease and contract disputes, eminent domain, condemnation, zoning, and mechanic's lien enforcement and defense.
- Advises clients on automotive supply chain cases and dealer network and distribution in the automotive industry. Charles represents and advises OEMs and suppliers in supply chain matters as well as counseled and litigated dealer franchise disputes.
- Represents clients in appellate court and has experience handling appeals before the Illinois Court of Appeals, the Illinois Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended an international lender from a $1.2 billion liability claim.
- Obtained dismissal of a $300 million employee lawsuit against one of the largest employers in the country.
- Helped a national retail chain renegotiate lease terms for over 100 locations in the wake of COVID-19.
- Counselled multiple clients regarding supply chain matters and force majeure impacts from the global pandemic.
- Obtained multi-million-dollar tax settlements for multiple financial institutions.
- Successfully defended through appeal a multi-million-dollar class action lawsuit brought against a nonprofit organization.
- Obtained favorable settlement for an international software manufacturer in a North American licensing dispute.
- Assisted tenants, landlords and brokers with various lease dispute resolutions, including efficient and effective judicial intervention when necessary.
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Editions 2008–2010 and 2012–2013 (Business Litigation)
- Leading Lawyers Network member
Professional & Civic Activities
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Cook County (former Board Member and Past President)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member)
News & Insights
- News Release
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Other Media
- Presentation"2015 Year in Review – Recent Midwest Legal Decisions Impacting Real Estate and Construction Law"Webinar - Quarles & Brady LLP
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1999)
- Northwestern University (B.A., 1995)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2016
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1999