Astutely ensuring compliance on state and national health law matters
Chris Guthrie guides clients on state and national health law matters. His experience includes regulatory compliance for health care transactions; Medicare and Medicaid program enrollment, billing and compliance; provider licensure and scopes of practice; state- and federal-controlled substance enforcement; telemedicine and telepharmacy regulations; and surrogate health care decision-making, including guardianships and powers of attorney. His clients include:
- Drug and device distributors and manufacturers
- Durable medical equipment suppliers
- Hospitals and hospital systems
- Behavioral health providers
Experience in Action
- Advises clients on regulatory and compliance matters pertaining to the manufacturing, distribution and dispensing of prescription and over-the-counter drugs and devices.
- Identifies licensure and enrollment filing requirements for health care providers undergoing a change of ownership or information and leads efforts to complete all filings on behalf of the providers.
- Litigates guardianship and protective placement matters and provides guidance related to powers of attorney and other surrogate decision-maker issues for hospitals and associated providers.
- Assesses implications of health care providers’ transactions and corporate reorganizations, and provides strategy related to compliance, licensing and enrollments.
- Advocates for health care providers and other related entities with state regulatory boards, state and federal health care programs and government investigators.
- Navigated national retail pharmacy chain through updates of its Medicare and Medicaid enrollments after a multistep internal reorganization.
- Provided strategic guidance to behavioral health provider with locations throughout the United States on Medicare and Medicaid enrollment issues to better position it for acquisition.
- Guided charitable pharmacy and distributor on regulatory and licensing matters as it expanded operations into multiple states with additional partners.
- Successfully obtained over 100 guardianship orders for patients at client hospitals who had not previously identified a surrogate decisionmaker. Included in these matters were multiple contested cases, cases seeking the involuntary administration of psychotropic medication and cases seeking guardian authority to consent to electroconvulsive treatment.
- Spearheaded pro bono initiative, in collaboration with nonprofit partners, to secure predicate orders for multiple undocumented minors seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" (2023: Health Care)
Professional & Civic Activities
- Wisconsin Perinatal Foundation, board of directors
- Madison Festival Choir, former board of directors
- Eviction Defense Project, Legal Action of Wisconsin, former volunteer
- American Bar Association, member
- American Health Law Association, member
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, member
- Dane County Bar Association, member
News & Insights
- News Release
- Presentation"The End of the PHE: Considerations for Medicare & Medicaid Providers and Suppliers"2023 Pharmacy Law Symposium
July 19-20, 2023SeminarChicago
- Presentation"The Rules and the Realities: Minor Patients and Patients Deemed Incompetent or Incapacitated"Wisconsin Medical Society - Medical Records and the Law Webinar Series
- Article"State Health Care Fraud Law: An AHLA 50-State Survey with Summaries and Links"American Health Lawyers Association, Wisconsin Chapter
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 2017)
- Pro Bono Society, member
- National Moot Court Competition
- Jenkins Honors Moot Court Competition
- Certificate in Litigation
- Marquette University (M.B.A., 2016)
- University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (M.S., 2008)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A., 2002)
- Majors: Psychology and Sociology, Minor: African Studies
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin