Keen, creative employment counsel
Corrie Klekowski partners with employers in both litigation and day-to-day counseling. She focuses on:
- Employment litigation, especially dispositive motion work
- Employment law counseling and advice
Passionate and effective, Corrie enjoys finding solutions for clients in unique and challenging legal predicaments. Her fierce advocacy is enhanced by her empathy and humor, as she helps employers find common sense solutions to complicated employment situations.
Experience in Action
- Eliminating claims against employer clients early in litigation through effective dispositive motions.
- Providing advice and counseling on employment issues, including employee discipline, terminations and disability accommodations.
- Presenting thoughtful and captivating trainings to supervisors and managers, including harassment prevention trainings and interactive process trainings.
- Training human resources professionals on a wide spectrum of other employment issues, including leave laws, investigations and best management practices.
- Obtained defense verdict for education entity in a student assault case.
- Obtained defense verdict for higher education entity in a whistleblower retaliation case.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in retaliation case.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in disability accommodation and retaliation case.
- Secured anti-SLAPP judgment and award of fees and costs for education entity in malicious prosecution case.
- Selected to Super Lawyers in 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023
- Named a Rising Star in 2016-2017 by San Diego Super Lawyers magazine
Professional & Civic Activities
- Contributing editor of Rutter Group’s California Practice Guide- Employment Litigation, Chapter 7, Employment Discrimination- In General
- San Diego County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, member at large (2018)
- State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Law Section, member
- Lawyers Club of San Diego — Co-Chair, Judicial Elections Endorsements Committee 2020; Co-Chair
- Working Together to Prevent Workplace Harassment, various clients, ongoing
- Habits of Frequently Sued Managers, various clients, ongoing
- Leaves and Accommodations, various clients, ongoing
- Wage and Hour Training for Supervisors, various clients, ongoing
- Working Together to Create a Healthy and Productive Workplace Culture, various clients, ongoing
- January 29, 2020: New Developments in Labor and Employment Law
- Top 10 Labor and Employment Mistakes, CALPELRA Annual Conference, December 2017
- Outwit, Outlast, Outplay: Tips on Surviving the Disability Accommodation Process, CALPELRA Annual Conference, December 2017
- Making Termination Decisions Stick, CALPELRA Annual Conference, December 2017
- "Catfish in the Rye" - Managing Student and Employee Use of Social Media, California Council of School Attorneys Annual Workshop, November 2017
- Top Seven Employment Mistakes, UC San Diego Health Leadership Academy, October 2017
- Employment Law Update, PPSC Annual Employment Law Seminar, October 2017
- "Catfish in the Rye" - Managing Student and Employee Use of Social Media, California Charter School Conference, April 2017
- Top 10 Labor and Employment Mistakes, CALPELRA Annual Conference, November 2016
- Social Media and Employee Conduct, PPSC Annual Employment Law Seminar, October 2015
- Workplace Investigations, CALPELRA Annual Conference, October 2015
- Top 10 Labor and Employment Mistakes, CALPELRA Annual Conference, October 2015
CALPELRA, November 2022
- When a Good Interactive Process Goes Wrong: Top Tips and Strategies for Better Accommodating Medical Restrictions
- Thank you, Next: Best Hiring, Recruiting, & Background-Check Practices
- Mental Health Accommodations: Real Life Strategies for Helping Employees Succeed and Avoiding Litigation
- Unpacking Unconscious Bias
Association of County Counsel, 2022
- Accommodations in the Time of COVID
California Employment Law Council, 2021
- How Good Decisions Can Go Wrong: Lawful Conduct Can Lead to Lawsuits
News & Insights
- News Release
- Article"ADA Burden-of-Proof Answers From 9th Circ."Law360
- Article"Title IX Enforcement in the #Me Too Era"Law360
- Article"Whistleblower Retaliation Claims and the Shrinking Judicial Exhaustion Defense"Matthew Bender’s California Labor & Employment Bulletin
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- University of California, San Diego (B.A., 2003)
- California State Courts
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, All Districts of California