Energy and infrastructure counsel with extensive industry knowledge
Elizabeth McErlean brings a clear line of sight to development, construction, ownership and operation of energy assets, including renewable and hybrid systems, bioenergy, and waste processing and waste recovery, as well as regulatory compliance. Her experience includes:
- Managing proceedings before the public utility commission.
- Counseling electric utilities on traditional and performance-based formula ratemaking.
- Distributed generation
- Wholesale energy procurement
- Electric vehicle deployment and charging station development
On behalf of her clients, Elizabeth has participated in the legislative process of the energy sector by drafting legislation on various industry issues and monitoring evolving issues before the state legislature and other regulatory bodies.
Elizabeth’s diverse legal career spans private practice in the energy and electric power sectors, industry experience with an energy development company and governmental experience with the Illinois Commerce Commission. All these facets of her career combine to provide significant value to clients through her depth of knowledge and expansive understanding of the energy industry.
- Illinois Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" (2019, 2020, 2021: Energy & Natural Resources)
Professional & Civic Activities
- Chicago Bar Association, member
- Illinois Bar Association, member
- Women's Energy Network, member (2015-2020), EmPOWERment Forum director (2019 - 2020)
- Women's Energy Summit, member and Planning Committee member (2016 – 2020)
- Step-Up, Chicago, Jr. Board Member – Impact Committee (2018)
News & Insights
- DePaul University College of Law (magna cum laude, 2015)
- Order of the Coif
- DePaul Law Review, editor of notes and comments
- Dean's List and Dean's Merit Scholarship Recipient
- Miami University (B.A., 2012)
- Political Science
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit